Row, Row, Row your boat........


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 13th 2007
Published: November 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ed meets Natalie.......Ed meets Natalie.......Ed meets Natalie.......

I think that was her name.......a 4 year old phython! Geez........Ed, get a puppy!
Gently down the..........Mekong Delta! That's where we were today and it was amazing. Incredibly beautiful weather today; perfect for touring.

We had a very tasty breakfast at the hotel this morning and then hit the buses early. It was a 2 hour drive to the Mekong Delta, with a "pit stop" along the way! People enjoyed the scenery (I got a picture of a banana tree; don't think I ever saw one before), got some snacks, bought a few gifts in the gift shop, stretched their legs, and then we carried on. Once again, we were duly amused by the sheer volume of traffic along the way........beep, beep, beep, beep........everywhere! It was interesting to see the differences once we got out of the city (no helmets required) and began driving through the country (helmets definitely required.........weird; seems like it should be the opposite!). Lots of construction going on.......and women are hired to be out there, in the middle of it all, along the roads.......sweeping, of all things!

We took a ferry taxi ride across the water, and headed over to the Farmer's Market. Lots of interesting experiences in there, that's for sure. A little shopping, a little snacking, a
Everyone on the bridge.......Everyone on the bridge.......Everyone on the bridge.......

Heading to the Mekong Delta.....
stop to see the bees making honey, an encounter with a python (yikes!), a little more snacking and shopping........and then.....to the row boats for our trip down the river (about 2 kms). I'm getting better at being on the water, but it still makes my heart go pitter patter! (and not in a happy way!) So, down the mighty river we go........4 to a boat........quite the experience. Got some great pictures.

Back on to the ferry taxi, have a drink of coconut milk from the shell and head back to the bus. We stop at a great little restaurant for the infamous deep-fried Elephant Ear Fish lunch. Yum-O! Lots of great food coming our way.........fish, prawns, vegetables, spring rolls, deep fried rice ball, and so on and so on. All this is to be washed down with a cool, refreshing Vietnamese beer! Very enjoyable! People are feeling quite comfortable and relaxed.

Back on the bus for the 2 hour ride back to the hotel. It's been an interesting day, but it's time for a little R and R now. Some folks choose to go to the lacquer factory; most others choose to hit the pool, have a massage, go shopping or for a tour around the city. Dinner was early, and was in the restaurant and it was stupendous! So many choices. I didn't take my camera down with me, but let me just say it was amazing. Noel and I were happy to end our meal with chocolate ice cream, topped with chocolate chips and a dollop of whipped cream. The day is complete!

I got to spend a little time with Brenda and Carroll in my room, as we visited the blog, had a look at some of the pictures and comments and just generally chat for a bit. Almost time for lights out because we have a very early wake-up call for 6 a.m. We depart for Cambodia in the morning..........more great times ahead!

We have a special birthday tomorrow .......Dawn Williams! And the birthday wishes are already coming in from family........ Happy Birthday, Dawn!

(Good night, Mom. I love you!)

Happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

A banana treeA banana tree
A banana tree

Look close......they're green bananas
Thirsty?????Thirsty?????
Thirsty?????

This is a 2 in 1 offer: a little snack inside your liquid refreshment.
Snack time!Snack time!
Snack time!

We had the opportunity to have some ginger tea, and some local snacks......banana chips, etc.
And away we go.......And away we go.......
And away we go.......

These women work hard, paddling us down the river!
Deep fried elephan ear fish.......Deep fried elephan ear fish.......
Deep fried elephan ear fish.......

Seth says, "please move that far away from me" .....ha ha. All the more for Susan and I.
The deep fried rice ball.......The deep fried rice ball.......
The deep fried rice ball.......

They fry it and it "blows up"; then they come, with scissors, and cut it into bite-size pieces......it's quite sweet.
Greetings 2006 group!Greetings 2006 group!
Greetings 2006 group!

Thinking of you and our great times in the pool last year.......wish you were here too!


14th November 2007

On the water
I am impressed at how well you are dealing with all the water trips this year. Good for you! Your blog is what I look for last thing before I leave the office or first thing in the morning. It looks like you are having a great time and have a wonderful group travelling with you. Carpe diem!
14th November 2007

Thank YOU
Pat thank you for sharing this trip with those of us left enviously at home. You make it come alive....please say hi to Keith and Jan B for me......and again..thanks for your special "view" of your world....Deb
14th November 2007

pennies from Viet Nam
Hi Pat - I didn't realize that Viet Nam was on the tour. How fabulous! Your pictures are great - I'd be moving those elephant ear fish further away from me too.... quite interesting food. Me? I like the pool. Slowly recovering from the conference - there's always a lot to do afterwards. I'm having a great vacation just reading and seeing your photos. Keep it coming! Love ya - Diann
14th November 2007

Hello to my old pal, Noel, and his fellow travellers
Hi Noel (and Pat): I am thoroughly enjoying your photos and, particularly, Pat's comments which make your friends very jealous of your tropical adventures when the rest of us poor souls in Canada are preparing for Winter. Sorry, Noel, but because neither Ruthie nor I are there to watch your calorie intake, I'm going to have to put Pat in charge of your diet. Definitely not more than 10,000 calories a day and, if you go over that amount, just pack a doggie bag for your "skinny" friend in Parksville. Happy to see that you and your fellow travellers are having such a great time and one of the highlights of my day is checking in our your adventures. Cheers from a very windy and wet Vancouver Island. Jackie
14th November 2007

Happy Birthday Dawn
Wow, looks like you guys are having a wonderful time - and not going hungry either... Happy Birthday Dawn, I can imagine this is one you won't soon forget, Love, Dan and Laurie
15th November 2007

Great time!!!
Hi Pat, You're all having a great adventures out there! I would simply like to be with all of you!!! Simply keep having fun :-) HappYanski

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb