You've got to be here to believe it!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Ho Chi Minh City! We left Hong Kong this morning after an amazing time there! Had a fabulous breakfast at the hotel and then boarded the bus for the airport (private terminal again.......complete with chocolate cookies/chocolate bars/water/juice/coffee, etc. waiting for us.......it's rough, I tell ya!) and then our flight to Viet Nam.

It was a quick flight, only about 2 hours and a bit.......and we turned our watches back an hour. We arrived in Viet Nam, coming into the brand new terminal (which opened in Sept. 2006). Gorgeous! Coming off the plane, it was like walking into a wall of humidity for me! My hair went flat immediately, and so it will go for the next few weeks. C'est la vie!

The bus ride to the hotel was very brief; the buses were most comfortable and the local tour guides are most charming! We had a welcome drink and then it was off to our rooms for a short while. Back on the bus, we headed into the heart of the city........had a brief city tour, going to China Town (a new stop this year) to visit a temple, then on to a Palace, and then over to the Main Post Office and the Cathedral. Time was tight because traffic was nuts! You've really got to be here to experience this.......pictures will give you a sense of it, but quite frankly it's something to experience in real life. Our bus driver is amazing! I'll add more pictures after we drive around tomorrow because it's just mind boggling! I know that everyone on my bus was duly entertained!

Back to the hotel for a bit of quiet time (right now) and to get ready for dinner tonight. We are heading to a dinner cruise which will be quite enjoyable!

It's 10 p.m. and we're back from our Bonsai Dinner Cruise. Oh what a night...........the Green Team rocks! It was so much fun. Fabulous food, great music, free neck massages (to die for, apparently!), excellent company, fun dancing..........lots of laughs. Oh what a night, for sure! Doug Ripley celebrated his birthday in style!!!! (Wonder what he will do next year??????)

Not much more I can add in words, as the pictures will speak for themselves. We have a big day tomorrow, so I will upload as many pictures of today as possible to give you a sense of where we are and what we are experiencing. If the uploading is a slow process tonight, you'll get the rest tomorrow.......I promise!

Enjoy! (by the way, in Hong Kong, we stayed at the Langham Place Hotel in the heart of Kowloon; www.hongkong.langhamhotels.com; people were asking me. In Viet Nam, we are at the Equatorial Hotel; www.equatorial.com/hcm)

(Good night, Mom! I love you!)

Happy, happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Driving to the hotelDriving to the hotel
Driving to the hotel

And it's not even "rush hour" yet......beep, beep, beep, beep, beep!
Tearin' up the dance floor!Tearin' up the dance floor!
Tearin' up the dance floor!

"Don't worry about us, kids. We're having a great time!"
Susan and SethSusan and Seth
Susan and Seth

Ending the night on a happy note.......


12th November 2007

Thank you Pat
Thank you Pat for the time, effort and dedication on your part for doing this blog so that those of us who cannot be on this tour with all of you can still share your experiences in words and photos.
12th November 2007

Viet Nam
Just looking at the pictures makes me wish I'd done the trip again - Viet Nam was one of my favorite stops. Great following it again and remembering the good times we had.
13th November 2007

Hello from the "Southern Tour"
Hi Pat, We are still following your blog and thoroughly enjoying it. We really do "wish we were there"!!!!!! It brings back so many memories and we can't believe it was just a year ago and we were there. We are on our own "Southern Tour" and have just arrived in New Zealand, the southern island. We explored Christchurch today; tomorrow we take a train ride across the island, which is supposed to be quite scenic! "Wish you were here too" !!! Kevin and Gail
13th November 2007

North meets South!
Ahhhhh, so you are on the road as well. Gail was wondering about that, and I just didn't know. I'll be sure to tell her. Sounds like you have a great trip planned too. Good for you. We just got back from the Mekong Delta; whew, it was HOT out there today (for me, anyway), and it's time for a dip in the pool, and then .........up to the "Boobie Bar"! Remember that, Gail?????? I'll be updating the blog later as we have a quiet evening here.
13th November 2007

Kudos to you and the team!
Hey Lance, So glad you are enjoying the blog and travelling along with us. You and the team have done an amazing job on all the little details and ensuring that we have the trip of a lifetime! It is much appreciated and I hear the passengers commenting all the time on how great everything is. (well, most of the passengers.......ha ha) You all are to be commended for the time and effort you put into this trip. I know I really appreciate it, and you! Thanks to all of you. Stay tuned. It just gets better........
13th November 2007

Saigon
Gret report you are far more descriptive than I was. Morgan
13th November 2007

Talking or writing........
Hey Morgan, no worries! My 2 favorite past-times are talking and writing......... Besides, you're such a great dancer.......we can't all be good at everything!
13th November 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM
We won't try to send an e-card; you can open the one in your suitcase. Hope you have a wonderful birthday whereever you are! Love you lots, Charlie, Jessica, Aaron and Bill
13th November 2007

Wishes from Darby and Kodi
Hey mom and dad, We miss you. It is very windy here and making lots of noise so Darby is getting very excited. The weather is great. Happy Birthday MOM Dad can give you big wet kisses from us. Love Darbi and Kodi
15th November 2007

amazing trip
Many thanks Pat for 'going on line' with pictures and info about our great trip. The visit on Tonle Sap Lake today near Angor reminded me of the children's story of Ping....He was the little boy who lived--if memory serves--in a tiny house made of reeds on stilts on a mighty river in China--We have followed the Mekong River (originates in China) now in two countries. Some of the poverty and hardship we saw was real and heart wrenching. We also saw people who were enterprising showing resiiliance. Still I am left with many haunting images......a family standing by the buses. Father in the background holding an infant, mother holding a physically handicapped toddler (large growth on his back) and their older son--three or four years old--asking for money in the shyest way. Mother's eyes were sad was also pleading for money pointing to the handicap.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb