Bag Snatch in Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
August 10th 2012
Published: August 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a start to today - felt yuk to start with so missed my beef noodle soup. We then go to the orphanage and all is as normal to be honest I feel really comfortable there now - not sure we will be returning as we are off to a new orphanage which is not government sponsored and only money raised by the orphanage are their funds. Hope we will return I am sure we will - what a change from day one where I freaked out and I mean freaked out.

We then went with our guide Phon who is training to be a travel guide so we were her guinea pigs to China Town and this is where the fun started.

We got the bus to China town and as we were walking along a motor bike with the driver and a passenger snatched Michelle's bag from her and drove off. It was over so quick no-one knew what was happening. She had her bag over crossed over her shoulder - it was lucky that the bag broke quite easy as it could have been a lot worse.

They lost their keys for the room, money, watch, camera. So we had to try to find the police station which was not easy at least we had Phon with us otherwise we would have been snookered. After Michelle filling in forms and them being transferred into Vietnamese we asked for a copy of the report for her insurance claim - see working for the Co-op has come in handy for making a claim and what you need.

Whilst waiting for the police report we found out that Phon was still studying at university and her older sister was now studying maths in a university in USA. Phon's sister was born in the year of the tiger so in Vietnam she is seen as not the marrying kind as tigers will kill their husbands - All at home if you are married check your wife's year of birth if she is a tiger lock up the knives, ha ha

The girls also lost their keys for a padlock and the man in the hotel cut off their padlock which was great. We all decided that we should go out and get a couple of vodka's and a pizza - so now back at the room a few vodka's later full of pizza.

Mike has now fallen asleep and low behold he is snoring again - errrrr looks like ear plugs will be required tonight.

We are going to the Mekong Delta tomorrow so not taking Mac Air so will need to update you on sunday what has happened - should be a good one as going to the floating markets, bike ride, staying with a host family so should have a lot to update you with on Sunday.

Anyway the lesson to be learned is if you get your bag/belongings stolen SCREAM as then someone will know something has happened and maybe able to catch the little blighters.

PS: we decided after the police station to go and make a wish at the Chinese Pagoda and bless the girls they did not wish anything against the culprits who stole their belongings they made a wish for a friend of theirs who is poorly at the moment - See we can rise above the shit that happens.

Advertisement



10th August 2012

Paula! Really - ear plugs. Listen to the pot calling the kettle black hahahahaha. Now I know that you and mike have matching ear plugs. The last one asleep gets to wear them hahaha.
10th August 2012

Matching Ear Plugs
I need them so I can get to sleep first, ha ha
11th August 2012

Bag snatch
Hi, I just saw your blog about the bag snatch. I am in Hanoi at the moment; people, even Vietnamese, keep saying about the bag snatching, and warning us to be careful. I thought over my shoulder would be safe, but now I've read this, I will pass it on! Thanks for the information. Good luck in your travels. Lesley From Yorksire ?
12th August 2012

Bag Snatch
Hi Lesley glad this has been of use. If you are carrying a bag make sure you are the furthest from the road. We are in Hanoi later on in the Month any tips would be appreciated.

Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb