Day 9- We love Saigon but it's time to go


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
July 19th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up to another hot morning but pleasant in this lovely city. Downstairs for a 10am breakfast, Adam gave the fried rice a go before realising it was seafood whilst I played it safe with an egg on toast.

We got ready to head to the War Remnants Museum not far from where we are staying in district 1. The museum was a little touching for me at times as they certainly didn't hide anything and we saw many dead bodies in the photos. Pretty crazy what the gas Agent Orange did to millions of Vietnamese and others, there was even a few foetus's that they have preserved that had two heads and mongy faces......pretty hectic!! Was cool to see all the big bombers and the massive guns and bazooka's.

We then took on the Ben Thanh Markets which were awesome. Everything you could ever possibly want!! The aisle's were no more than 3 feet wide and just went on and on, we got good at bargaining where we could get 50% off.

By this stage we were pretty exhausted and relaxed back at the hotel not before booking our bus outta here tommorrow. Fingers crossed the bus we booked will be air conditioned and decent, I dont think anything could beat the Greyhound bus Las Vegas to LA so we should be ok.

We got dressed up for our last dinner in Saigon and we went to Italian restaurant at the Park Hyatt, woooops I gave Adam the bum steer and we ended up in a beautiful 5 star restaurant called Opera and certainly paid for it too however was lovely and worth that nice feeling in a classy restaurant.

It would have been rude of us not to go have a drink on the rootop bar at The Rex Hotel. Just beautiful and a must to check out. It was made famous and popular by American troops during the Vietnam War when its conference room hosted a daily press conference, by the MACV, derisively named The Five O'Clock Follies by cynical journalists who found the optimism of leading US military officers to be misguided. Its rooftop bar was a well known hangout spot for military officials and war correspondents.

So we leave tommorrow on a 3pm bus ride where we head to a place called Mui Ne which is about a 5 hour bus ride.

Mui Ne has quickly been transformed from an isolated stretch of beautiful white sand to one long row of resorts. While there's still a fishing village at the east end of the beach, it's tourists that make up most of the population. The boom in top-end resorts hasn't killed the chilled surfie vibe, although it has brought an increasing number of up-market restaurants and souvenir shops. It's an unusual set up. as everything is spread along one 10km stretch of road - the accommodation is on the beach side, and the restaurants and bars mainly on the other.

Mui Ne is famous for its enormous red and white sand dunes. These have been a favourite subject matter for many a Vietnamese pho-tographer, including some who sit like camels on the blazing hot sand for hours, waiting for the winds to sculpt the dunes into that perfect Kodak moment. Bring on the sand dunes!!!!

Anyway we look forward to some beach time and relaxing away from the city lights. Our resort looks pretty nice so will be sure to add some pics.

Peace.

K xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb