Romantic Vacation Avec Le Pollard


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
November 4th 2010
Published: November 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So- after three connecting flights, Toy Stoory 3 (I laughed and cried through), Old Poetry Society, broken sleep classical chillout music and 5 curries later- Colette and I arrived in Ho Chi Minh City- as the ONLY white as ONLY packpackers at the airport. We got the bus to the city (determined not to get ripped off, but still got charged 15,000 instead of 3,000 Dong!? (like 50p instead of 10p) BASTARDS.

Ho Chi Minh Tues: I was sweating like a beast and struggling with my backpack, and cloth bag (which has broken twice) travel pillow and 1000 page book! Then as we got off the bus (with help of locals) the SKY opened. So walking with Cols lonley planet in hand trekked the backstreets of Saignons backpacker district and finally found our random tiny guesthouse, off a narrow side road. We went for a walk around in rush hour traffic (which you JUST have o walk into/ through)- sporting our lovely anoraks- we ate along the side of the road. nice noodle thing. We then went to a VERY english bar and felt right at home with our overpriced (for here) drinks...! Had a power cut in the middle of the night, but was gratefull and i had my jumper on as the air con was soooo cold and we didnt know how to turn it off...

Cholon (China Town) Wed: We got the number one (3,000d) bus to District 5. LOADs of wholesalers crazy market stalls, whole sections of the market for flipflops/ cloth/ cutlery/ plastic containers... Ridiculous. Walked around and saw some Pagodas (col wouldnt let me go to the church and said i need to stop talking about religious buildings as architectural structures). We again ate some noodles on street, nearly fell asleep on the bus home and THEN (after deciding we needed a nap before drinks time) bumped into Jess Cura and her boyfriend Ben, so started the drinking straight away (Saigon Beer- Going to have a beautiful gut soon!) We stayed in a nother guest house with a dear little cute lady, but on the 5th floor!

MuiNi Thurs: Got a "sleeping bus" to the beach resort up the coast. We are staying in lovely accomodation ON the beach front. Amazing. Going to have a few days chill here, surf some sand dunes, see some sun sets and all that JAZZ. Jess may join us.

It is currently POURING with rain outside ( but also very dark ) and we're going to go out for dinner...

Few facts:
- they let children drive/ steer the mopeds (everyone uses)
- alot wear facemasks (moped situation)
- Efficient palm leaf brooms
- Electrics are hanging off pillars in the street and over wired
- People sleep/ hang out/ eat/ drive mopeds/ etc on the streets.
- Bananas are TINY
- They actually wear those cone hats

Lots of love to ALLLLLLL Xx

Advertisement



5th November 2010

watch the salad!
Hi Kathy, glad you survived the arrival process! Don't forget - if you see anyone washing salad in the swimming pool, don't eat! lots of love Angi and Naren xxx
6th November 2010

You are so amaz.....love you,miss you. Sounds like you are having such a good time already.....Read your private message. Bring me back a small banana please....xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb