Saigon - Behind the Red Curtain


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
March 16th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ohhh, group shot!Ohhh, group shot!Ohhh, group shot!

Just take a look at those three happy travellers
We took a seven hour bus ride to Ho Chi Minh City, or that would be Saigon to most. The bus ride itself was heavenous (yes, that is a word), with extra wide seats, free water and cakes, a/c that worked and annoying Khmer music only some of the time. Crossing the border was hassle free as the bus company handled most of it, the only time we had to make any effort was to get out our bags for scanning which the bus staff apologised profusely for (even though it was regulation).

Saigon is a bustling city! At any time of day you hear the roar of motorbikes driving past; plus the occasional bus/car that feels it necessary to beep incessantly at every motorbike on the road....which amounts to a lot of beeping. This all meant that sleep was a bit hard to come by.

On the second day we visited the Cu Chi tunnels, a network of tunnels used during the Vietnam war by the Viet Cong for hiding places, supply routes, living quarters, hospitals...basically a underground colony of guerillas. “History is written by the victors” as Nick pointed out, unless of course, the 'losers' were Americans,
Secret Entrance to the TunnelsSecret Entrance to the TunnelsSecret Entrance to the Tunnels

That was when my claustrophobia set in!!
and it's splashed over every form of media possible. So, what I'm trying to say is that it seems both sides are prone to a bit of propaganda. It was a bit strange hearing allied forces referred to constantly as “the enemy”, and also was a bit hard to swallow Australia and New Zealand being referred to as “the puppets” (although in all honesty....who are we kidding?). Our tour guide was a Saigon born anti-communist fighter who was captured upon American withdrawal and put into a re-education camp. It was a bit eerie when he said things such as “now I know the right way of communism because I have been re-educated”. Nevertheless, the tunnels were a worthwhile day trip. Nick and Phoebe even went down to the 3 metre and 6 metre tunnels....I didn't because I'm a wuss (and prone to claustrophobia!).

Our tour guide also gave us some general ramblings on Vietnam. One of his many complaints was that Vietnam is a poor country, his reasoning being because “Vietnamese woman are very good baby-maker” and warned “if you marry Vietnamese woman, guarantee six children if you no be careful”. His biggest issue being the cost to tax
Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels

These were the biggest ones...just big enough for Phoebe
payers for schooling. He very proudly noted that he himself had only had two children and was doing his bit for the country. It made me think of Peter Costello's “one for Mum, one for Dad and one for Australia” line...what a different take we have on things!

The place we stayed at was called Madam Cuc's and with the cost of the room we had free breakfast AND dinner included! Although dinner was instant noodles and spring rolls of unknown contents. The instant noodles had a bit of chilli in them and after a bowl got served up to Phoebe she munched away at them, alternatively gulping juice and eating spring rolls. At the end she very proudly commented that she can now eat spicy food. Another big achievement is that she ate all her noodles with chopsticks! We're very proud of her.

One of the things we immediately noticed coming to Saigon is the absence of tuk tuks. After complaining about how harassed we felt in Phnom Penh, we had come to know our tuk tuk drivers as a cheap and easy way to get around town. Most travellers in Vietnam seem fonder of hiring a
Water PuppetsWater PuppetsWater Puppets

Phoebe was bored, Nick fell asleep but I quite enjoyed it!
scooter to get out and about, and while we would LOVE to scoot around Saigon all day, it's not a family friendly transport option (that doesn't stop the locals of course). We caught a taxi once but it was a rip off and we think they fiddle the meters to inflate the price. So it seems we'll be mostly confined to walking around Vietnam.

After surveying various beach options for our next stop and finding them all a bit too pricey, we decided to head for the hills instead and will do a bit 8 hour bus ride to Dalat. We're looking forward to the cool climate!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Is that a vase for gigantic roses?Is that a vase for gigantic roses?
Is that a vase for gigantic roses?

These were made by people who were disabled during the Vietnam war. They made some beautiful things.


19th March 2010

thanks for the update guys - you all look so well and healthy! love Mum/Gramar Janet xxx
20th March 2010

beauty
Hi,Saigon sounds like it gives hope as misfortune is overcome by their culture Attractive to tourists.Iam so glad u went there.Nick is looking like a carefree explorer,no sign of corporate there,ask him to control his smiling!Love AC
21st March 2010

Hi All, really enjoying your blogs. You're all looking so good, really like the pic of Phoebe in the tunnel. Hope you're all taking care and hope your hip is much improved Alex. Thinking of you often, leen of shar. (is that how you say/spell it?).

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb