End of the Bus Ride / Beginning of Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast
December 12th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We awoke (kind of as we were hardly sleeping) at 3 in the morning to a screaming match on the bus. We had pulled over to the side of the road in this tiny town with barely any lights on. The driver and another bus worker were trying to get this lady off the bus. We could not understand what they were saying other than obviously she didnt want ot get off the bus. We couldnt figure out what was going on but a bunch of different people came and talked ot her while she argued the whole time. At one stage the driver just grabbed her and tried to physically take her off the bus. After about 20 minutes of guy went behind her and the driver in front of her and they managed to get her off the bus although we heard her still shouting when the bus finally pulled away. I felt a bit guilty about not offering money in case it was just that she had not paid but we couldnt understand what was going on and she looked tough enough to handle herself.

We made the border about 2 hours before it opened(thanks to crazy driver) so we sat and waited. The border crossing was quick although the local see no problem with budging in front of tourists. I walked up the the counter and went to hand the guy my passport only to have a lady walk past the line shoulder past me andgive the guy her passport. I was in a bit of disbelief. I would have stould my ground only i didnt think a 4 foot nothing scrawny lady would just charge in like that. The guy behind the counter was reaching out to grab mine and changed halfway through the motion to grab hers without a blink. Kind of a wtf moment.

The bus ride turned out to be about 22 hours and we arrived in the city of Danang. It is right on the coast so there are nice beaches and maybe some surfing. We went to this awsome hostel recommended by Lonely Planet called Hoa's Place. It is more dormitory style and very welcoming. Mr. Hoawelcomed us with a beer and set us up with nice rooms for really cheap. On the way to the room he fed us a classic line that is one of the best we have heard so far. He says "I been managing this place for 20 years f#$%'n years, rock and rolla." We had a family dinner with all the other travellers that was awsome and there is promise of a big barbecue tomorrow as well.

Time for an ealy night as none of us has slept much at all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb