The Crazy Bus Ride


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
December 12th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we decided that our time in Laos was over. It is a beautiful counrty that we enjoyed more for the scenery and trekking than for the beaches and parties. We had only planned on staying for a short visit but ended up staying for quite a bit longer than anticipated.

We had lots of discussion and settled on a 20 something hour bus ride from Vientiene to Danang(Vietnam). Most of the discussion was Matt and myself saying lets do it and James saying no way thats crazy. He was probably right. We couldnt take a sleeper bus because there was none so we went on a air conditioned bus instead. We knew imediatly we were in trouble when we jumped on the bus at around 6pm. The bus was full of locals all sitting in their comfy air conditions seats. The guy who took our tickets kept waving us to the back of the bus while all the locals were smiling and laughing at us. Turns out there were 5 seats against the back wall of the bus for us. They barely reclined and had no air conditioning. They also piled up all the luggage at our feet. The locals also got pillows and blankets which we never had.

We figured 20 something hours cant be that terrible though untill we got going. It was already really hot on the bus to the point where we were sweating quite heavily. Both Matt and I looked at each other like oh crap and then we started laughing histerically. James, who was the harshest critic of getting the bus in the first place turned sideways and fell asleep almost right away. I think he can sleep anywhere at any time (I wish i had that skill). Once we got under way things got worse. Being at the back of the bus the engine was right under us and man it blasts heat through the seats. About 3 hours in I was starting to get worried. MAtt and I were drenched with sweat and it was only getting hotter. Luckily we found we could get the back window open and saved ourselves I think. As soon as I opened it most of the people on the bus turned around and glared at me. They were all comfy under there blankets so I just stared back at them. It woulda taken a lot of them to come back and try and close that window though.

The driver was the craziest we have had yet, and we have had some crazy drivers. It was a huge bus and the driver just stepped on the gas and held the horn almost the entire way. Everything else had to get out of the way. At one point he double passed two other massive buses on a twisting death road. We almost killed so manypeople it was rediculous. Luckily we were on pace for record timing to get into Vietnam so it was kind of nice if we could just get there in one piece.

For dinner we stopped at a little hole in the wall that had questionable food at best. James opted not to eat, I got plain white rice and Matt decided to follow the locals example and put his iron gut to the test. Although he didnt eat the more questionable items on his plate. He turned out alright so I guess the gamble paid off. We got back on the bus for the rest of the ride.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb