Encountering Cambodia and Vietnam - Hoi An, Saturday 2016 February 27


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
February 27th 2016
Published: March 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our breakfast was taken in a large “room”, roofed but open on all sides. I have been enjoying Vietnamese breakfasts, which today consisted of a thickened chicken soup and vegetables with noodles, plus my own addition of egg bread, so I could taste the tangy lemon jelly.

We drove most of the way back north to Da Nang, turning off for My Son, an important Hindu temple site. The Cham people are more original to this area than the Vietnamese; however, their population is small now. Their historic culture extended from the first to the twelfth century. The original wooden temples burnt down; what we saw were the tumbled remains of their brick temples. My Son is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and a number of countries have contributed both money and expertise for the restoration or rehabilitation of the buildings. Some of this work has been done more sensitively, some less so. The most valuable artefacts have been moved to the Cham Museum in Danang. A few of the interiors have been fixed up to display some remaining bits of fresco and statuary. These Hindu temples are mainly dedicated to Shiva, and there is some similarity to the Angkor complex. Thuy explained that when the Khmer (historic Cambodians) conquered this land they sent slaves to Angkor to work on their temples, and when these craftsmen returned to their Cham homes they brought back the influence of Angkor.

Hundreds of tourists were wandering around and following their guides, who were speaking Italian, Japanese, English, Russian and Vietnamese, which gives a flavour of how internationally important is this site. It is a well-curated tourist attraction with parking, washrooms, gift shops, maintained paths, and a pavilion for Cham dancing and musical performances. The dances are similar to those of Cambodia and India. I recognized the “carrying water” dance from the performance in Siem Reap, although this one was more stylized. The second performance featured a famous player of a special wind instrument, accompanied by drums and local guitars; unfortunately, to western ears this was just screechy noise. Then the Apsara dancers offered a very sophisticated performance, with graceful, difficult and highly controlled body, limb and finger movements.

As we drove back to Hoi An, I confirmed in my mind that nearly the whole distance, about an hour’s drive, was settled. Some rice fields interrupted the stream of shops and homes, but always houses were nearby.

In
Traditional Cham dancingTraditional Cham dancingTraditional Cham dancing

Sophisticated and skilled
the central historic district the entry of vehicles is restricted, although motorcycles seemed to take liberties. Our lunch was at Miss Ly’s, the first post-war restaurant in Hoi An. The family lives next door. The menu has their story in it and two pages of family photos. Miss Ly’s mother sat on a stool between the restaurant and the kitchen, dressed and made-up very nicely. Standing in approximately the same place, Miss Ly’s husband, who is a New Yorker, was helping tourists find their way through the minuscule kitchen to the washroom. The kitchen consisted of three medium concrete tables and a side room with a little grill on the floor not far from the tap. Dubious sanitation perhaps, but the food was delicious and the restaurant is well patronized. A most authentic place!

After lunch we set out on a walking tour of the main sights in the historic district. We stopped at a rare combination: Buddhist pagoda and Fukien Chinese temple, dating from the time the Fukien were refugees from China. The main goddess of the temple was a woman who saved her people by “seeing” a ship wreck, enabling the sailors to be rescued. On the
Fukien carp sculptureFukien carp sculptureFukien carp sculpture

Lovely colours and shapes
wall was a magnificent mural of the woman serenely floating above the churning sea and the failing ship. Further along the street was an historic (1719) Japanese covered bridge, indicating that Hoi An has always been a place for refuge. Nearby was a heritage house, still privately owned, that was open to tourists as the family business. The house was quite sparse, made of ironwood, which explained its long life, and enclosed on the street-front by traditional Vietnamese shutters that could be closed during bad weather and yet could be easily removed during hot weather. Embroidered tablecloths and napkins and paintings were very much for sale.

The end of the walking tour signalled the beginning of shopping at the tailor’s, Thu Thuy, where our guide Thuy gets all her stylish clothes made. (Thuy was not permitted to take us to any shops, but we were welcomed to follow her. Of course we did!) The owner, Madame, knew we were planning to have clothes made, so assistants immediately came to us. Hang asked me what I wanted; by now I knew - Ao Daii, the traditional silk outfit, which consists of loose pants and a coat-style top fitted to the waist and floating to the ankle. Hang took me to the appropriate patterned silks and helped me quickly select two: an acid rose pink and a rich deep red. We looked at them in the mirror, and I asked Phyllis her opinion. She favoured the pink, the direction I was tending, so that was settled. Before we discussed too much about style, I asked the price in case it was well outside my budget. She called Madame over for this discussion. At US$185 it was indeed much more than my estimate and more than I wanted to pay. I stood silent for a bit. She said it could be made without a lining for US$155. Although undoubtedly better with a lining, I agreed because I will need a camisole in Calgary anyway. Hang and I selected design features, such as long sleeves, curved mandarin collar, and button closure (snaps and hooks and eyes). Later we added black piping made from the same silk as the pants.

Then Madame took my measurements – about forty of them! Hang wrote them down. I paid a deposit, and the fabric immediately went off to the tailor. I joined the others who were finishing their transactions. Thuy came back and worked out with Madame that tomorrow afternoon we would have fittings.

We walked back to the hotel for a couple hours of free time - a badly needed cup of tea for me.

">View video of Cham dancing.

View map of trip to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Near Hoi AnNear Hoi An
Near Hoi An

Green! Green! Green!
Near My SonNear My Son
Near My Son

Tranquil river life
My SonMy Son
My Son

Beautiful environment for ancient ruins
Hindu temple shows Indian influenceHindu temple shows Indian influence
Hindu temple shows Indian influence

My Son
Small Hindu temple in larger complexSmall Hindu temple in larger complex
Small Hindu temple in larger complex

My Son
Remnants of temple interiorsRemnants of temple interiors
Remnants of temple interiors

My Son
Graceful Hindu temple carvingsGraceful Hindu temple carvings
Graceful Hindu temple carvings

My Son
Inside a temple towerInside a temple tower
Inside a temple tower

Remarkably well finished
Traditional musicTraditional music
Traditional music

Needs an accustomed ear
Unrestored templeUnrestored temple
Unrestored temple

A difficult, time-consuming challenge!
Miss Ly's motherMiss Ly's mother
Miss Ly's mother

An elegant lady!
Miss Ly's Restaurant kitchenMiss Ly's Restaurant kitchen
Miss Ly's Restaurant kitchen

Lots of delicious meals from a tiny kitchen!
Grill the chicken and wash the dishesGrill the chicken and wash the dishes
Grill the chicken and wash the dishes

Miss Ly's Restaurant
Fukien Chinese HallFukien Chinese Hall
Fukien Chinese Hall

Hoi An has always welcomed refugees.
Thuy worships by lighting a hoop of incense.Thuy worships by lighting a hoop of incense.
Thuy worships by lighting a hoop of incense.

Fukien Chinese Hall
Japanese Bridge from 1719Japanese Bridge from 1719
Japanese Bridge from 1719

Long history of multiculturalism
Thu Bon RiverThu Bon River
Thu Bon River

Hoi An River Front


19th March 2017
Traditional Cham dancing

Traditions
Love traditional dance performances. Good job
19th March 2017

Religion and shopping
How delightful that you had the opportunity to see not just historic ruins (amazing in itself) but also current religious practice (the incense hoop - wow) and to get authentic clothing, tailored to fit.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb