Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
November 16th 2011
Published: November 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Currently the nicest place I think I have been since Luang Prabang. Really pretty city that has a huge french history, influence and feel to it. Bakerys all over the place selling fantastic food and coffee, a river running right through it with boats resting, bars all lit up each side of the river all selling happy hour drinks 24 hours and amazing street food for next to nothing. I had a dish called Koah Lao which cost me 60p and tasted like it should cost 60 quid. This food was from a street vender where we sat a foot away from the river in little seats and watched the world go by. Could not have asked for more, and yes I had a couple of local beers with it.

This place did not have alot to offer in the way of siteseeing but obviously made up for it in nightlife, food and general atmosphere. It had shos that could make you ANY type of clothing you wanted, measured etc by a tailor for peanuts. This is one of two or three places I would happily re-visit in the furture.

We spent a couple of our nights in a really trendy bar right by the riverside. When I say trendy I mean in a dfferent way from back home. Basically Hoi An is prone to flooding and 7 days before we got there, this bar was 7 feet under water. This meant they weren't even going to try to ever decorate as the water had ruined the inside on so many occasions. The best thing about this was, it made the place look great. I commented to the owner on his great job on the interior decor to which he laughed and kindly exlained that it wasn't because of his hard work but for mother nature. This place was a kind of green coulour with hints of brown and black with a ruined guitar and dart board hanging on the wall. It became our local with cocktails for 40p a pop!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb