moving south


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

While for many Americans the word Vietnam will always be synonymous with war,
for me - at least after my visit here - the word would conjure up something else: a nation where the glances, laughter, and good wishes of a people had fused into a gentle caress that ran over my entire being, leaving me befuddled at how merely being with strangers could delight me so. - Joel Carillet


We left the town of Hue yesterday by a coach bus that serves as a local, picking up people from travel agencies and hotels that serve as bus stops.

We rolled down south passing homes with chickens and tiny pedastels with traditional Buddist offereings of food, flowers and insence. There are lots of new buildings going up and old ones being painted in bright pastel colors.

Long says that since 1986 when the government gave back the land to the farmers the price of rice has now doubled. It is still cultivated by hand here and a family will own 1 or 2 acres.

This troipical land is full of friendly people always willing to assist, like my motorbike driver who put my helmet on & off at every stop and the lady who helped me cross the street even after I would not buy her fruit. It's a country where they still carry goods in baskets strung across shoulders by a pole or tied to the sides of a Honda. Where tourism is a fairly new part of the economy since the 80's when the backpackers first came.

As we travel the world we learn that it doesn't matter what language you speak, a smile is understood wherever you are. We have had many smiles on this trip but the smiles that melt us are the ones from the kids. They love to practice their hellos and wave. When a group of 45 kids comes up and starts saying hello all at once it is something to see. Most people are friendly and curious about where you are from.

Mark Twain said " Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindeness."

Dont ever be afraid to see the world from someone elses perspective it just make you a better person- Frank


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb