Vietnam - Nah Trang and Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 30th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left the hussle and bussle of Saigon behind on board the 'not so' comfortable overnight bus to Nah Trang - described in the Lonely Planet as Vietnam's ultimate beach resort! We were sorely dissapointed! The sun wasn't shining and even if it has been I wouldn't have chosen to sit out on the beach! Nah Trang was a gritty, seedy resort ridden with poverty, drugs, prostitution and sadly paedophilia. We really were at a loss as to what to do with ourselves for 3 days!

We tried our best to make the most out of a bad situation. We read, we slept, and on our first afternoon, I took myself off for a walk. Only a five minute walk from the tourist centre, I was witness to some of the worst poverty I'd ever seen. It really did hit home how lucky we all are! But amongst all this poverty, a young boy came running out of the rubbish piles, waving and shouting "Hello, what is your name?," desperate to practice his English! These kids know no different!

On our first day we'd signed up to teach english to some local street kids at the Crazy Kim Bar run by a Vietamese-Canadian woman who campaigns against the growing problem of paedophilia in Nah Trang. Unfortunately, when we turned up the following morning, the kids had been taken on a day trip to the beach and we'd just missed them...at least the thought was there!

At a loss as to what to do with ourselves, we took ourselves off to the local mud and mineral baths for some much needed rest and relaxation. After an afternoon of soaking in mud baths, mineral baths, mineral sprays and an hour long thai massage, we were ready to experience Nah Trang's nightlife (at least the Lonely Planet got that part right)....

After taking in a few bars, Why Not, Redsun (for free Mojitos), Guava and Crazy Kim's we headed to the Sailing Club for the night which is where the story will end for now...

It was time to leave Nah Trang behind. Having decided to ditch the tourist buses, we decided to mix with the locals on the overnight train to Hoi An. As we boarded the rickety train, the whole carriage fell into stunned silence as a Scotsman and 2 Irish girls walked down the aisle with all their luggage in tow...people were lying sleeping everywhere, and those not sleeping stared at us for the duration of the 12 hour journey! And who could forget the man who sat next to me and snored constantly ....by the time I disembarked, he had a few bruised ribs due to the amount of times I thumped him during the night!

We arrived in the quaint town of Hoi An in one piece ready to spend 4 days there! We spent most of our time here in tailor shops getting everything from suits, to shirts, to shoes, to winter jackets made! When we didn't have measuring tapes wrapped around our inner thighs, we enjoyed strolling around the local streets and markets taking in the sights and smells of Vietnam!

We also took in My Son, apparently Vietnam's most important centre of the ancient Kingdom of Champa and a Unesco World Heritage Site! It really was lost on us and certainly not something we will look back on with fond memories! We tried to be cultured!

We visited Marble Mountain which was fantastic. Not too sure how to describe it, without copyng straight from the Lonely Planet but there were a number of temples and caves within which were Buddhist and Hindu sanctuaries. We were also meant to visit China Beach, famous for the American TV series of the same name, but the hotel botched it up and we returned to Hoi An without having seen it! Never mind...I'd never heard of the TV series anyway!

That brings me to the end of our time in Central Vietnam. Having had our fill of tourist buses and overnight trains, we decided to travel north in relative luxury to the nation's capital, Hanoi, by flying Vietnam Airlines.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

On our way to the post office...On our way to the post office...
On our way to the post office...

after each getting a new wardrobe custom made!


31st January 2007

A whole new world!!
Looking at the photos makes me realise just how lucky we are. A very different way of life. I shared the photos with the kids and they wanted to know why they wear lamp shades on their heads!! Made me giggle. Never seen you with so many shopping bags!!!! Love and miss u lots Vicky XXXXXXXXXXX
31st January 2007

Wow
I think these are my favourite photos so far - we will have to get some of them enlarged and hung up in the house. However you can never again tell me that you don't like shopping!! You could give the WAGS a run for their money. It all looks truly amazing and you are looking so happy. Has really brightened up a dreary Wednesday back home.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb