Crashing Waves (and Churches?!)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
March 15th 2012
Published: March 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A TempleA TempleA Temple

Taken from our balcony on the 5th floor



The town of Na Trang is situated on the coast midway between Saigon and Hoi An.

It is a complete melting pot of the Vietnamese people living their way of life and a huge tourist industry rubbing shoulders side by side.



We are staying in one of the many modern hotels that line the roads but when we look down from our balcony on the fifth floor we can watch people going to worship in the temple down below and street traders struggling along under the weight of their baskets heavy laden with fruit, baguettes and all manner of food. Early in the morning small cafes suddenly appear on the side of the road and the local workers congregate to eat breakfast. A couple of hours later the cooking pots, charcoal burners, tables and chairs are all loaded on a cart and taken away until next morning when the whole procedure begins again.



The beach is a long stretch of golden sand dotted with the odd palm tree and separated from the road by a pleasant Esplanade adorned with trees, fountains and grassy areas.

Behind the beach is a
Vin PearlVin PearlVin Pearl

Vietnam's answer to Las Vegas
backdrop of towering mountains and across the bay is the Island of Vin Pearl, reputed to be Vietnam’s answer to Las Vegas.



Sadly apart from the first day we were here we have been unable to go in the sea as the wind has whipped up making the waves come crashing into shore. I tried to get in for a swim on one occasion only to be pummelled to the ocean floor. As soon as I emerged I retreated to the beach and didn’t attempt it again which was a shame as despite the wind it’s still very hot.

Luckily we came across a bar with a swimming pool so at least we could cool down but I much prefer the sea.



On Tuesday we gave the beach a miss and went in search of the ‘Sitting Buddha’ and the ‘Reclining Buddha’ in the grounds of the Pagoda on the outskirts of the town. On the way we spotted a rather grand looking church perched on a hill so we decided to take a look and maybe get a view to see how far away the pagoda was.

As we climbed the marble steps we heard a commotion going on but we weren’t expecting to see the sight that greeted us. A huge builder’s lorry was wedged in the doorway of the church, half in and half out, it’s back wheels rocking precariously on two strips of wood they’d put down to manoeuvre it up the three steps to the entrance. There was literally a 1mm. Gap either side the lorry and no space above whatsoever, the lorry'sbuilt in crane was hitting the doorway preventing the lorry going in any further. Unperturbed by this there were six workmen pushing with all their might on the backend of the lorry while the driver revved it’s head off! Every few minutes the lorry would lurch backwards, threatening to crush the men as they jumped out of the way quick smart.

This went on for several minutes but obviously it was never going to get into that church. without knocking the lintel out that was holding the stained glass window above Stan walked over to them and with a series of hand gestures suggested they let some air out of the tyres to lower the lorry and hence it might fit through the doorway.
The BeachThe BeachThe Beach

Storm clouds brewing
They seemed to understand and proceeded to attempt it and at last they managed to get the lorry into the church but goodness only knows the damage done to the stone lintel. At that point we decided to make a hasty retreat, considering the damage done to the supporting lintel meant that, in the worst case scenario, the whole beautiful church could come crashing down!

Of course this begs the question – Why were they trying to get a builders lorry into a church anyway?!!



We found the pagoda, climbed up to see the Buddha and by late afternoon we’d plonked ourselves on the beach just to watch others getting pummelled by the waves, quite entertaining!



Fortunately as the town is geared up for tourist there are many restaurants serving western food and we can dine out for less than £6 complete with drinks for the two of us. So, what with that and the fact we had a beautiful room to stay in it’s been a good place to stop and unwind for a few days.



It’s now Thursday morning and we have just arrived in Hoi An on the night bus. Everyone we have spoken to say how beautiful it is there.



I’ll keep you posted!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.669s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 25; qc: 82; dbt: 0.3601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb