Day 65-66: Nha Trang to Mui Ne, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Binh Thuan » Mui Ne
April 1st 2009
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nha Trang to Mui Ne


Bathroom treeBathroom treeBathroom tree

you don't see that everyday
We'd like to apologise, especially to Megan ;-), for the April fools joke. We are glad we got so many of you!


Wednesday, April 1st


This morning we left Nha Trang for Mui Ne on a smallish bus. It had a TV and we could watch a movie. The only problem was that they dubbed it to Vietnamese, but not the way you'd think. Instead of having different voices for each character, they had one female voice for every actor - male, female, young, old. There's no voice acting. The woman merely read the subtitles. It's horrible!

We arrived in Mui Ne just before 2pm (it took more than 5 hours by bus, not 3 hours as we were led to believe) and set off to a place we read about in our guide book that has "bungalows". If a room that shares walls with other rooms is a "bungalow" then we're staying in one. We had always understood that a "bungalow" is a free standing unit, but what do we know?

Mui Ne isn't really a town. It's 11km of beachfront filled with mini-resorts, guest houses and restaurants. It's also Kite-Surfing heaven. We sat on the
On the busOn the busOn the bus

(only 5 hours to go)
beach looking at about 20 kite surfers playing on the ocean. After 10mins we were sandblasted by the wind. We were both suffering some dehydration headaches so we went in for a shower and a nap.

Before dinner we walked around exploring a bit, looking for real bungalows and a restaurant. We found a really great place with lovely bungalows. It's very expensive but maybe we'll stay there for a couple of nights. We decided to look for more options the following day.

There was also a total lack of hagglers and people selling stuff. No one bothered us to buy cigarettes, postcards, paintings, gum, weird foods or anything! It was awesome!

Talita has taken to using the word "Totally!" all the time. We figured that she picked it up from Amanda. It's funny. We had dinner with our feet in the sand then went for a walk on the beach. This is a great place to shift into extreme low gear and have a holiday from your holiday (not that we need to).

Today's highlights:
1. Arriving in Mui Ne.
2. A tree in our bathroom.
3. No hagglers to be seen.

Thursday, April

2nd
After jogging on the beach and breakfast we went in search of a better place to stay. The room we’re in is cheap but a little dingy. It has a tree in the bathroom, which is kinda cool, but it’s too close to a construction site and, like we said, a little dingy.

While jogging we had scouted resorts that have real bungalows and there was a few options. The first place we checked out was US$35 which we thought was a little steep. Another place was US$19 but dingy. The place with the nicest looking bungalows was a whopping US$116! We won’t be staying there, ever! We found a nice place close to our current location, not too expensive, clean and with nice gardens. We booked it for our last four nights in Mui Ne.

Back at our current digs, we negotiated to move to a nicer room (at a cheaper rate) closer to the beach and away from the construction for tonight.

Like we mentioned earlier, Mui Ne is Kite Surfing heaven. The adrenaline junky in Ferdi was soon frothing at the mouth to give it a go but it costs an insane US$200
Bubble-head fishyBubble-head fishyBubble-head fishy

There's something on your head! Some...THING!!!
for a 5 hour lesson! Our twenty nights accommodation in Nha Trang was less than that! We decided to postpone Kite Surfing until we’re rich.

Oh, and what we said about there not being any hagglers… That was a little pre-mature. Because Mui Ne is just one long stretch of road, there are hoards of bikers and taxis everywhere you go. They’re constantly hooting at you, waving their arms and clapping their hands, trying to get your attention, but only succeeding in being VERY VERY annoying! We’ve been joking for a while about arming ourselves with “Super Soakers” (you know, those BIG water guns that discharges liters of water). Alas, we kind find any here  Maybe it’s better that way. We might cause too much havoc if we soak every guy that hoots at us…

We spent the afternoon reading on the beach (the bikes and taxis can’t get there, so it’s our sanctuary). To be truthful, the haggling is getting to us. You get used to the noise and the crazy driving. You even get used to the locals’ complete lack of understanding about personal space, conservation, the evils of littering and pollution (we come from
BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

with our feet in the sand
South Africa, we’re used to trash everywhere), but the haggling is too much. We need a break. Luckily we’ll be off to greener pastures soon.

For dinner we decided to eat at a proper (western) restaurant. Jibes is a restaurant, kite-surf shop and kite-surf school all rolled into one. Great location, great food, great service! We’ll worth the higher price…

Today's highlights:
1. Jogging ON the beach.
2. Finding a nicer place to stay.
3. Lovely, romantic dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

US$116?US$116?
US$116?

You gotta be kidding!
The gecko didn't make it Captain...The gecko didn't make it Captain...
The gecko didn't make it Captain...

he didn't have the POWER!
JibesJibes
Jibes

Roooomaaantic!


2nd April 2009

Boom in badkamer
Ek dink die boom is vir die hondjies wat wil gaan pee in die badkamer.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb