Back on the road again


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Binh Dinh » Quy Nhon
July 11th 2015
Published: July 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ooo early start this morning to catch the 5:30 bus to Quy Nhon which sounds like "wee'd on" when locals say it. We woke the kids up and rolled them into a taxi before first light.

We hopped onto a 24 seater bus (which the lady that booked the tickets tried to talk me out of) and were shouted at to take the raised back seat (a little nervous making with 2 small kids). Our drivers attitude to braking, swerving and generally bullying other road users off the road added to the tension but I've perfected the art of holding two babies.

The drive was really interesting through rice paddies, banana plantations, mountains and small towns. There was plenty of interesting sights from drying rice and rice paper to herding ducks. There was also a large amount of roadworks to keep Agus entertained.

Quy Nhon is really different to other places we've been. It has a rural coast feel with no foreigners in site. It's very difficult to communicate as the English level here is basically non existent. We had some problems finding a room as the one we had reserved fell through. After some door to door knocking and Internet surfing we found a suitable room.

Our luck had turned and we found the most amazing Bánh xèo restaurant. No menus or English. Just point with some sign language.
Bánh xèo aka Vietnamese pancake is a specialty food of Vietnam. The version we know back home is the pancake fried folded over beans and seafood. Well we have just been introduced to the real deal. In Quy Nhon they flame fry little mini pancakes then divide pieces with fresh greens and roll the lot in a rice paper roll.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb