Hello Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 29th 2014
Published: October 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We flew to Bancock on Monday and I knew we were in a foreign country when I saw all the mythical paintings on the airport walls and a Buddhist monk in full robes walked out of the shining chrome gents loos. We were one of a few white people in that teeming airport and no-one else had red hair. So on to Hanoi which was wreathed in mist and smog. The streets swarm with motor scooters, they whiz like swarms of locusts and create fumes which catch your breath. In the middle of all the chaos is Hoan Kiem lake tranquil and green with a little pagoda on an island in the middle. We wandered through the streets looking at stalls and basket sellers before settling at a lake side cafe for a beer. As the sun went down the sky turned a beautiful deep lilac which set off the surrounding trees all lit with artificial green lights. Next the rain came. We retreated to the courtyard which was under a canopy but were disturbed to see the rain cascading down over the wicker lampshade. A young waiter poked the canopy with a broom in an attempt to divert the torrent and I did wonder if I would have to give him CPR if he electrocuted himself, but he survived.

We had some real Vietnamese food at a special restraunt which trains young people off the street to cook and wait. They were excellent.

Today we have been on a city tour and seen the Maison Central otherwise known as The Hanoi Hilton or prison . Hanoi has some grim memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



29th October 2014
image

Great pictures, Mum - and those street snacks look tasty! Will you and Dad be coming home with new hats? Fx

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb