Happy in Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
September 8th 2011
Published: September 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We got off the plane in Hanoi bleary eyed and weary at 10pm last night. We were approached by a Belgium couple asking to split the cost of a taxi and we agreed. They had just returned from Cambodia and they gave us some good traveling tips. We stepped out of the coolness of the airport and into a hot and muggy night that envelopes you with its oppressive heat. The sharp odors of city living lingers in the air but it's comforting in its own way.

Waking up this morning we decided to spend the day searching for a better and cheaper hotel and we planned to spend the whole day on our mission. Surprisingly Joel wanted to take the first hotel we were shown and he bargained the girl down from $15 a night to $13 and got her to include breakfast. Since we had the rest of the day to explore the city we trekked 3 blocks to Hoan Kiem Lake. Legend has it that in the 15th century Emperor Ly Thai was given a magical sword that drove the Chinese out of Vietnam. The day after the war he happened upon the lake and a giant tortoise rose to the surface and swallowed the sword and disappeared into the water. It is known as Hoan Kiem (Lake of the Restored Sword) because the tortoise restored the sword to its divine owners.

While walking around the lake we spent some time hanging out under a tree while a deluge encased the city. 10 minutes later the sun was out and we decided we needed sustenance to keep us going. Our first meal in Vietnam was of course, pho. The steaming bowl of noodle soup was just what we needed to revive us from our jet lag.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Entrance to TempleEntrance to Temple
Entrance to Temple

Hoan Kiem Lake Temple
Hoan Kiem LakeHoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake

Can you find the giant tortoise?
Pho 24Pho 24
Pho 24

Mmmm good! Highly recommended.


8th September 2011

thanks for the update!
great job on the blog! sorry i am such a worry wart about everything, the pictures are awesome! your blog will be a hit. love mom
11th September 2011

Funnnnn
Looks like you guys are off to an amazing start. Cannot tell you how jealous we are! I can't wait to see where you guys go next!
12th October 2011

Hi
It is so exciting to see your wonderful photos and share your exciting travels. Enjoy every single minute!!!!!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb