we arrive at Uncle Tho's in Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
February 23rd 2005
Published: February 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

the infamous "uncle toe" that i've talked about in yoga class. we arrive at his home (and aunt tuc and cousin nguyen) at 6am in the morning after a decent night's sleep on the train.

uncle tho still works part-time as a doctor at a nearby clinic. he left home at 20 to attend medical school in the north of vietnam. soon after the war broke out and he could not return home. he was of two sons who went to north vietnam to study. the eldest 2. my great grandfather died of a broken heart as he never got to see them before he died bc of the split btwn north and south.

uncle tho worked for the military his entire life...he even cared for Ho Chi Minh!!! wow huh!? "great man," my uncle says of "uncle ho."

so we all hung out at uncle tho's place. actually uncle vinh aunt huong went to stay with her sisters who also lived in hanoi. i had a little withdrawal symptons from them since they are so hip and cool (even for 60 + 69 yrs old) and i had been with them ever since nha trang 2 weeks ago. but i made it through.

---
website on ho chi minh: http://www.time.com/time/time100/leaders/profile/hochiminh.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb