Good morning, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get out of Singapore unscathed and took a cheap(ish) flight up to Hanoi to properly begin our trip. This is where we had planned to head after going to Bangkok, so now we're back on track.

We arrived into the airport at 2000hrs and found a cab to the city. Our guide book said there was a fixed price of $7.50 for all the airport taxis so when we got in and were told it would be double that, we straight away thought we'd been fleeced. I tried weakly to barter, to no avail. The taxi ride was something we've not experienced before. The roads in this place are pretty crazy and you can't go for more than one second without hearing the sound of a driver leaning on his horn. There seems to be no rules, apart from drive on and be resilient, people will generally get out fo your way. It seemed like we almost crashed six times, but it turns out that that is just the way it goes. As we drove in it was obvious how scooters dominate the streets. The most I saw on one was a family of four, and all with no helmets (am I still in Police mode?!).

The initial culture shock left us feeling a bit unsettled as we checked into the hotel but we were shown to our room by a young guy and a small boy, who delighted in carrying my heavy backpack upstairs before scampering off. We decided to just stay in and explore the next day, so settled down in front of Man U v Man City live on Vietnamese TV (followed soon after by a reply of Leeds v Histon - which we didn't watch). Then I saw something dart across the floor - we had company! I lost it to sight but the big mouse / little rat reappreared soon afterwards and I ended up chasing it around the room for ten minutes. When it jumped over my head we decided to give up and got the two fellas who booked us in. Between us we coaxed it out to go and terrorise some other innocent guests.

Exploring Hanoi was fascinating and exciting. We are staying in the Old Quarter, where the streets are very tightly packed and you have no chance of walking on the pavement so you have to chance the road. Walking amongst the traffic is what you have to do here and if you are just firm you will get to your destination in one piece. Although there is seemingly no order, it just works and people accomodate each other. There is no road rage despite some driving that would raise at least a few swear words back home.

We walked around Hoan Kiem lake, in the centre of town, which is really peaceful and a good break from the rest of the city. Locals jogging and participating in a vigorous form of Tai Chi, and many people trying to sell guide books and aged postcards. We were told that a must see was the water puppet show, so got two tickets and sat for the performance in a theatre by the lake. Even though I could not physically fit in my seat (had to be moved by the usher like a freak), the show was fun and amusing, and the puppeteers were really good. Then went for some street food which is, as expected, very cheap and tasty.

We have just got back from a two day trip to Halong Bay. Hopefully the pictures will do it some justice but it was breathatking and so relaxing. We spent the night on a junk and ate lots of fresh seafood (Catherine even enjoyed the food, much to her surprise). The bay itself has loads of large rocks jutting out of the bay - almost 2000 in total and it was a great sight. I am running out of time so please look at the photos!

Back in Hanoi now, going to Hue on night sleeper tomorrow. Sounds a bit more relaxed than Hanoi!

Stay safe
Nic



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb