Hectic Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
November 29th 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hanoi is where we landed from Bangkok. Our first impressions of Vietnam. People were friendly, smilely people. Our hotel was comfortable,clean and tidy.We soon realized there was one thing we had to practice-
the method to crossing the road! Never are the roads clear, so it's one step at a time, dodging and weaving motorbikes as they pass. Relief has swept over me on a few occasions when we've safely reached the kerb! We witnessed a few accidents, some just bikes bumping into each other, but one was quite horrid. So many bikes produces a bit of unfortunate smog too.

While in Hanoi we stayed in the Old Quarter. Built on a grid pattern, small streets interlock each other around Hoam Kiem Lake. Streets packed with restaurants, souvenir shops, clothes, handicrafts and ample tourist agencies. Water puppetry has famously come from Hanoi so we watched a performance one afternoon. It wasn't anything like i imagined, it was entertaining and cleverly performed in water. The puppeteers, stand waist deep in water as they move their puppets behind a screen. I was impressed!

During our stay we ventured to the Prison, where political prisoners were kept in brutal conditions. The
Ouch its heavy!Ouch its heavy!Ouch its heavy!

Pineapple and bananas. She quickly came up to me and plonked her balances upon my shoulders and told us to take a photo. An effective way of making money!
prison became famous in the Vietnam war, and was nicknamed the 'Hanoi Hilton', by the Americans. Quite a chilling visit, seeing pictures of torture, unwelcoming cells and chains. While in deep thought, we left the prison and were greeted by people screaming, shouting and crying running frantically down the road passing us. What was happening? Where we in danger? Then police vans sped pass, they were holding baton ready to hit people out of the way. We decided to make a swift exit out of this area! The following day, the hotel manager told us, some people had been given the death sentence for selling drugs. Others had been sent to prison. That explained the manic street scene!


I grew to like Hanoi, a bustling busy city, with no skyscappers or big city malls. A city with a difference.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Millions of Motorbikes!Millions of Motorbikes!
Millions of Motorbikes!

Adding to the smog, hectic roads and noise!
Hanoi Water Puppetry ShowHanoi Water Puppetry Show
Hanoi Water Puppetry Show

It was very clear how they manged to animate these puppets in the water. An old traditional show.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb