Hanoi...can ya take the heat???


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Donna and I flew to Hanoi from Vientiane and arrived bright and early around 7am. We caught the airport shuttle bus to the Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel (our first hostel on our trip and in our lives!). The airport shuttle bus did the typical scam where they try to take you to various hotels for commission, but we got out near our hotel and just walked a short distance. We chose to take this route as the public bus makes TONS of stops and the taxis do the same commission game but with the meter running!

The Backpackers Hostel lived up to our expectations as we had heard it was a really nice place and right in the center of the action in the Old Quarter. The hostel was run by these australian guys who just fell in love with Vietnam and wanted to party. Donna and I paid for separate bunks (but shared one anyways). The sleeping area was kept cool with A/C and the shared bathrooms were consistently clean.
We attended one of the roof-top bar-b-ques which was filled with conversation, 2-for-1 beers, and lots of backpackers.

Hanoi is a wild city. It's filled with a crazy
Donna and Lorin - Hoan Kiem LakeDonna and Lorin - Hoan Kiem LakeDonna and Lorin - Hoan Kiem Lake

an oasis right in the center of the old quarter
mix of the old and the new. In the Old Quarter, the streets are incredibly narrow and are filled to the brim with thousands of people on motorbikes. By the end of every day in Hanoi, our eyes were burning from all the pollution from the exhaust fumes. Oddly enough, crossing the street is a bit frightening, but easy to do as the drivers are use to all this chaos.

The city is incredibly picturesque with a beautiful lake right in the middle. The Old Quarter is easily navigated by foot, and each street seemed to specialize in selling a particular object. For example, there was the "sunglasses street", the "fruit shake street", the "liquor and cigarette street", etc.

We basically wandered around for a couple of days (in extreme heat and humidity), and made the most of our time. We saw a traditional water puppet show. The farmers used to put these on in the rice paddies and now it has become a theatrical production witnessed by millions of tourists and locals every year.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Snake wine makes you....Snake wine makes you....
Snake wine makes you....

strong and virile!
our hostelour hostel
our hostel

a good place in Hanoi
Check out those puppets!!!Check out those puppets!!!
Check out those puppets!!!

They're on water!!!! That's right...water!!!! I know, I couldn't believe it either.
taking a cyclotaking a cyclo
taking a cyclo

our driver was sweating so much after this ride...so we tipped him...something not common in Asia
hungry?hungry?
hungry?

Let's see.... pig tails, tongues, brains, or hooves.... Now who wants to eat first?


27th June 2007

Viet Nam
Hey guys! have fun and be safe!
5th July 2007

Snake wine is tough to get through customs
I just got the link to your blog since my work blocks sites deemed "unsavory". How wrong they are! Looks like a great trip. Makes you wonder why we Americans run around like chickens with our head cut off most of the time. Please come back some day. We'd like to see you again.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb