Hanoi - The Old Quater and Magical Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

City #2:

On Friday me and Gus made the move from Bangkok Thailand to Hanoi Vietnam.

Our cab ride from the airport was hilarious! The Vietnamese really enjoy using their Horns! *Beep!* for "I'm on the road" *Beep! Beep!* says "I see your car ahead of me" *Beep! Beep! Beep!* means "I'm coming" *Beep! Beepity! Beep!*means "Get out of my way" and *Toop Toop!!* hehe this means "Thank you for letting me pass"....crazy!....me and Gus were in histerics...

First thing I notices was Hanoi's abundance of beautiful french architecture - a lot of tall pretty painted houses complete with large open family area's that house mahogany furniture, small tables and chairs and family's reclining/enjoying a meal... sooooo different to the small concrete houses with tin roofs we saw in Bangkok! We met up with Tristan Julie and Dan Friday night and had a beer at a lovely restaurant overlooking the centre of old quater. Lots of people and motorbikes everywhere! On Saturday I had an oportunity to peruse the street markets - lots of interesting and quite confronting sights and smells!! The Vietnamese apear to kill, cut, and eat...everything!

On Saturday we had a day trip to the Magical Ha Long Bay...this place is incredible...it looks like something out of Fantasia...its quite similar to the Thailand Beaches from the movie "The Beach" - hundreds of big rock formations surrounded by crystal blue still water. Someone said it is like the "1200 apostals" hehe - It was so cool! We had our own personal boat to relax on which looked like something out of pirates of the carribean! The boats are all very ancient looking (like a lot of things here). Today we saw the Ho Chi Mihn Mauseleum and tonight we are traveling up North by Train to Sa Pa to see the Hill Tribes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb