Ha Long Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
February 5th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ha long BayHa long BayHa long Bay

Brendan strengthening Irish/Australian relations.
While in Hanoi we also went on a 2 night, 3 day trip to Ha Long bay. This is a trip that almost everyone does, but with good reason. Beautiful scenery, lazing about on boats, etc. Another attraction is the price. Our trip included one night on boat and one in a nice hotel, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, transport to and from hotel, bicycle and kayak hire and a guided walk. Price per person, approximately 25 euros. You can pay more of you want to, a lot more, but we were more than happy with what we got.

Despite it being a boat trip you will get plenty of exercise as you get to go hiking, cycling and kayaking as well. In truth the hike is a simple walk through the forest and a cave, the cycle a gentle half hour trip along a scenic valley, and the kayaking an hour at the end of the day. There is also an enormous amount of clambering from one boat to another etc.

At the start of the cycle a couple of locals on motorcycles drove alongside offering lifts. I have no idea what you would have done with
Ha Long bayHa Long bayHa Long bay

Trips over and everyone heading back to port.
the motorcycle other than leave it by the roadside. Despite a number of steep hills I am proud to say that we persevered although I think that Linda was tempted slightly.

On the hike I managed to provide some entertainment for my fellow travellers. We came to a small stream over which a couple of logs had been laid as a bridge. I looked and this and then noticed that a number of flattish stones also crossed the stream. These seemed to me to offer a safer passage so I took it. And I was right. i walked across the stones with no problem. Until I pushed off the last one to get up onto the opposite bank. Advice. Check that a stone is stable before you launch yourself off it. Otherwise you risk ending up as I did. I think the technical expression is falling arse over head. I managed to avoid falling completely on stream but still managed to soak a good portion of myself. On the bright side I did confirm that my shirt and trousers were as fast drying as their manufacturers advertised.

We did not do the kayaking but met an Australia couple
Ha long BayHa long BayHa long Bay

Brendan in the bush.
who did it on a different trip to ours.The kayaking normally takes place at the end of the day and this is when the did it. Off they went enjoying the scenery as the sun started to go down. Imagine their surprise then when they looked back to where their boat was and noticed that it had lifted anchor and was sailing away. They said they never rowed as fast in their life aa they did then. It turned out the boat was only changing position. At lest that was the story they were given.





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Brendan watching convoy of tour boats.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda and traffic jam of tour boats
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

A non swimmer, Brendan wondering where the lifeboats are located, just in case.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Tour boat jam.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda avoiding request for volunteers to taste snake wine (home made).
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Lunch on beach
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda tackling gang plank
HaHa
Ha

Ha Long Bay at night.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Getting to boat required clambering between, through and over many other boats.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Waiting to depart.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda taking a rest from taking it easy.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda admiring view
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda on small boat returning to tour boat.
Ha long BayHa long Bay
Ha long Bay

Linda watching the neighbours


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb