Night trains and traffic


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế
February 20th 2017
Published: February 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The night train to Hua was "interesting". This time we were in compartments for four, luckily for us we were with Dick and Sarah who we already knew, as there is no privacy within the compartment. Sarah and I went to the station shop to stock up on cold beers, and we broke out the cards, and had a laugh. We had to, the track here is narrower than in U.K, so it really was "shake, rattle and roll", and we had to hold onto the beers. We tested the door, and tested the lock, and the then found we were locked in. We shouted for help and eventually the train guard came and busted us out. Ken and Dick proceeded to fix the lock with a Swiss army penknife.

The shaking was so bad it was too scary to even think of moving out of the top bunk once we settled down to sleep, though I couldn't see how any one could ever sleep on this train - but I did!

Hua was very pleasant, and the old citadel and forbidden city took up the afternoon. In the evening we went to our guide Charlie's own house and met his family, who fed us, and met his 93 year old grandma.

Onwards to Da Nang, which for anyone growing up in the 60's will be a name you knew. They are still surfing there. Weirdly, as we came over the pass, there was a bride and groom having there photos taken standing on a U.S bunker - they even brought there own ladder to get up there!

One thing I am struggling with is the money here. 28,200 Dong to the pound. It does my head in to pay 10,000 for a beer, I keep getting in a muddle with all the zeros, and paid £6 instead of 0.60p for some bananas the other day.

The traffic is the other barmy thing. New law states every one has to wear a crash helmet on a motor cycle ( nothing to do with the presidents wife owning a factory that makes them), except if you are under 6 years old. You see Mum and dad on a bike with helmets on, kiddie standing on the back holding mums shoulders, and toddler sitting between, neither with helmets. Red traffic lights seem to be just a suggestion, and if it's more convenient to go on the wrong side of the road against the traffic, that's OK too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb