Goood Morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
February 18th 2017
Published: February 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The last few days have been hectic, with little or no WIFI. We had a few days in Vientiane ( capital of Laos), not much to say about it really, other than we said goodbye to 7 of our recent travelling companions.

We had a 45 minute flight to Hanoi, take off, served a sandwich and drink, clear up and land. The immigration officials looked foreboding in their ornate uniforms, but straight through no problems. After we met the new members of the group, our guide, Charlie (well it had to be didn't it? If you don't get that then watch Good Morning Vietnam or Appocolypse Now), took us to a local restaurant where we got an entertaining entre into Vietnamese food. The walk back was even more interesting, the streets were packed with people, some sitting in the road on little stools eating, plus motorbikes going every which way, AND CARS! I squeezed down the side of a Range Rover, worried about my bag catching it, only to have a motorbike come the opposite way and try and get past me. Ken had a pushing contest with one bike, and thankfully won. How we got back with all our toes is beyond me. It's a bonkers, mad place and I would like to see a lot more, but we had to leave early next day to get to Haylon Bay.

The day and night on the boat cruising round the 1000 plus islands was idyllic and beautiful, plus we got lessons in carving intricate flowers out of cucumbers and carrots, Actually life is just too short for that.

Had an early start to go Kayaking for an hour at dawn, I loved Tess and Harriet's explanation as to why they were always last - they had a troublesome boat, a naughty kayak!

Back to Hanoi and we only had a couple of hours before having to get the night Train. So as usual we set off to find a bar, but on the way Ken bought a jacket - genuine "North Face", honest, and only £14!

Tomorrow we should be in Hua, where I may be able to upload this.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb