Where's our invite?


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A 5hour lay over, a 2hour flight and a 2hour drive, we finally arrived at our hotel in Hue to a grand reception. There were official looking cars and security everywhere we looked. Upon asking the hotel staff what was going on, we were informed that the Governor General of Australia was hosting a party at the hotel that night and our names had been left off the guest list (Rude, I know! Hehehe), After booking some tours, we stepped out into the Hue heat and began exploring.
Later that night, sitting in the hotel bar, the Governor General walked past and I managed to snap a photo, I wasn’t the only one as there were obviously people who has been sitting in the bar waiting for her to walk past.

Our first full day in Hue and we hit it hard with a half day tour booked to see some of the many sights the former capital of Vietnam has to offer. The most interesting of these being the Imperial City, the Citadel where the former Kings of Vietnam lived. The place has been mostly destroyed courtesy of the Vietnam war but the Vietnamese along with governments all over the world are working to restore this

A trip to the DMZ or Demilitarized Zone just outside of Hue was something I really wanted to go coming to this city. The DMZ was the neutral zone after the north and south of Vietnam was divided whilst it was waiting for a general election as to who would govern the country. OF course, the Vietnam war then happened and there was no election. A great deal of driving was involved in this tour and we saw many sights, including museums and the Vinh Mac tunnels, similar to the Chu Chi tunnels, except entire villages lived in the tunnels below the ground so to avoid the US bombs, no actual fighting happened in them.

Our final hours in Hue where spent relaxing and getting nicely burnt by the hotel pool. I had my free massage that was offered to us upon arrival and stupidly never went back to claim Chris’. Next stop.. Hoi An one Chris and I were both looking forward to.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

DSCN3780DSCN3780
DSCN3780

our first cyclo ride
DSCN3808DSCN3808
DSCN3808

in the tunnels


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb