Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hue


Hue, in the centre of Vietnam was the dynastic base of the country and was where the last king of Vietnam was buried - not being able to afford a tomb 'fit for a king' he charged the people 30% extra tax. This resulted in a marble and mosaiced creation which, while pretty impressive doesn't justify such a heavy tax burden - although it seems convenient for present day party leaders who are pleased to uphold this as an example of how things have improved under the Communists and 'Uncle' (Ho Chi Minh) continues to be reveered by the people for his modest lifestyle.

While both Communist in name if you speak to the locals you get a definate sense that Vietnam has an uneasy relationship with China, given this it is perhaps surprising how strong the Chinese influence is. This is particulalrly apparent in Hue ,where their largest neighbour makes its presence known in architecture food and art. It seems that China also has a more sinister impact on local familes. China's one child policy resulted in high rates of female infanticide - this has left an unbalanced generation where men greatly out number the women. Locals claim that Vietnamese women are becoming unintended consquences of this policy by being kidnapped and trafficked to China for Chinese men who can't find a Chinese wife.








Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Final JourneyFinal Journey
Final Journey

This car was used to transport a monk who burnt himself to death over the lack of religious freedoms


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb