Day 39: Hué, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 6th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Huda BeersHuda BeersHuda Beers

Cafe on Thu Wheels

Friday, March 6th


We woke to a cool, overcast morning. It was a lovely respite from the crazy heat of the last few days.

As we left the hotel for breakfast Ferdi's watch fell from his arm, one link pin rusted completely through. It must be the permanent sweat of the last month.

After breakfast we booked bus tickets leaving for Hoi An the next day, then went strolling around town looking for a place to have Ferdi's watch fixed and also for a tube of some kind to put our paintings in.

We easily found someone to fix the watch once we got to "watch street". The streets here seem to have a theme eg. Watch street, t-shirt street, bag street etc. The only exceptions are mobile phone, camera and scooter repair shops. These are everywhere!

We bought some Pringles and used the tube to protect our paintings then had a lazy afternoon napping in our room.

We were delighted when Dewald phoned us on Skype and we had a great video chat with him. We learned that Peanut (mom Sonja's slightly retarded but awesome cat) has a weak heart and could die. We love
GraffitiGraffitiGraffiti

Cafe on Thu Wheels
him sooo much and pray that God will heal the little guy!

Later mom Sonja joined Dewald and it was fantastic to see her and talk to her again! It was really great to hear all the good news from South Africa.

We went out to celebrate our first video chat to SA. After our first few weeks traveling we decided that we're only allowed beer on weekends cause it makes us fat and is expensive in some places (not here though. Here it's R5 for a bottle).

We went to a cool little place in our street called "Café on Thu wheels". The walls of this little restaurant is covered with messages and sayings from other travelers (a lot of other places here have also started doing that, but apparently Thu's was the first). It's got a lekke vibe with good food, good music, and good drinks.

Once we two start a good "kuier" there's no stopping us. We had a few beers, a bottle of local red wine and great conversation. We talked about how much we've learned so far about God and each other, about alternative ways of living, about our people back
Vietnam wineVietnam wineVietnam wine

Cafe on Thu Wheels
home and how South Africa, if it wasn't for the crime, would've been the nicest place to live.
It's remarkable how adaptable we humans are. We're so used to this new lifestyle of ours it amazing. It just goes to show that no matter where you are you can adapt quickly and successfully.

Today's highlights:
1. Video chat with Dewald and mom Sonja.
2. Great "kuier" at Thu's.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb