Day 38: Hué, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 5th 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, March 5th


We rented bicycles and headed to the nearest branch of the bank whose ATM didn't give us our cash in Hanoi. After some difficulty we figured out that they need a certified bank statement showing that the money really was deducted. Luckily we've got boeda Konnie on the ground in SA who's gonna help us on that end.

After the bank we got little headphones so that we can Skype our people. Our laptop has got a built-in Webcam and mic so we can video chat! Cool! We can't wait!

We then went to the silk shop and Talita fitted her new outfit.

It
looks
GORGEOUS
and fitted perfectly!

Talita insisted that Ferdi get a silk tie that fits with her outfit and we got a beautiful set with a tie, handkerchief and cuff-links.

After stashing our new goodies in our room we headed across the Trang Tien bridge to the Citadel on the north shore of the Perfume river. This is also a UNESCO World Heritage site and is gorgeous even though the Americans bombed the crap out of it during the war.

It's like being in a different country. The people are more relaxed, the streets are quieter and there are these long straight lanes covered with Jakaranda trees. It was also so hot we nearly died, so we tried to stick to the shady parts.

After a few hours of exploration and excessive perspiration (also meeting one very naughty kitten, one very sleepy cat and one dog sleeping with it's tongue sticking out) we went in search of some lunch, but first we stopped by the hotel for another shower.

After lunch we hid in our room (catching up on some blogging) till most of the heat outside was gone.

After dinner we met a young disabled Vietnamese man who creates these beautiful paintings to support his family. He does three A4 size paintings a day! Quite remarkable. We bought two. Now we have the problem of how to transport them... Mmmm... We'll have to find a tube somewhere.

Today's highlights:
1. Getting Talita's outfit.
2. Getting Ferdi's tie set.
3. Exploring the Citadel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Our outfitsOur outfits
Our outfits

That's all Ferdi got (minus the boxer)
Flag poleFlag pole
Flag pole

Citadel
War damageWar damage
War damage

Citadel
Old CanonsOld Canons
Old Canons

Citadel


6th March 2009

Wow, you are so sweet in your AoDai! All mem would be jealous to Ferdi.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb