Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 22nd 2008
Published: April 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hue is the historical capital of Vietnam and has some major tourist spots which take a day to see including the Citadel, Forbidden Purple City, war museum, boat trip and the Thien Mu Pagoda. I was only there for 2 days and to be honest the sights and the city itself were a disappointment. The DMZ tour however was great and although it was a long day (6am-6pm) it gave you a good picture of how the Vietnam War was fought in this region by visiting the Khe Sanh US firebase which had a museum, crashed helicopters, old shells and bombs and a bunker. We also saw the Ho Chi Minh trail but the best sight was the Vinh Moc tunnels. These tunnels gave an excellent picture of how the local population dealt with and survived the war. Thousands of miles of tunnels were built and the locals literally slept, ate, went to school, got married and had babies down there for years. It was dark, damp and a bit scary down there !!

When the DMZ tour was over a few of us met up at the DMZ bar on Le Loi which is a great little bar with loads of writing on the wall from previous travellers, great music, food and a pool table. We checked out another bar up the road called the Why Not bar but that didn''t seem as good. There is not more else to report on Hue, it was ok but the DMZ tour and learning all about the history of the French and American wars ( which lasted over 30 years in total) was the highlight for me. The next day I checked out and got the bus back to Hoi An via Da Nang where I mangaged to take lots of pictures of the local scenary. I stayed in Hoi An for another two nights ( had a great time) and then decided some hot weather was in order so booked a fight to Saigon.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tank captured in 1975Tank captured in 1975
Tank captured in 1975

Captured from the Puppet solders of the Southern regime
Famous DMZ bar Famous DMZ bar
Famous DMZ bar

Check it out !
DMZ bar DMZ bar
DMZ bar

The wall is covered with comments
Map of DMZMap of DMZ
Map of DMZ

Firebases and tunnels galore !!
Bunker in the captured US Firebase Bunker in the captured US Firebase
Bunker in the captured US Firebase

Restored for the DMZ tour
Entrance to tunnels Entrance to tunnels
Entrance to tunnels

Tunnel so the villagers could survive the B-52 bombings
Light at the end of the tunnel Light at the end of the tunnel
Light at the end of the tunnel

Thank Budha for that !!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb