The Serene Peace of Ancient Emperors


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
November 27th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The silence..the rustic breeze of the south and the coolness of the air makes Hue a welcome change from hectic HCM or Hanoi.

The pace here is decidely slower, the people walking with a gentle grace and even the gals here laugh and smile more readily to everyone.

The draw of this city is the Citadel and its ancient history of the Ngyuen Dynasty that stretches 200 years back. the city is amazing compact and easy to navigate on foot and the sights well worth more than a rushed tour. Armed with your own guide book, it makes a better pleasure to walk the citadel at your own pace rather than follow a horde of tourists.

t great to arrive at 7.30am when the gates open as it gives you about an hour of peace before the group tours arrive at this ancient chinese palance. Having gotten your does of the citadel modelled after the Forbidden City in Beijing, set yourself to the masoleums where 9 out of the 11 emperors who ruled Vietnam from 1801 is buried in its splendor. If possible take a bike to bring you there and it should not cost more than USD$7 for the whole day and it will draft you thru loads of villages and small paths that big tour buses cannot go...there enjoying the occasioanla splatter of mud from the dirt tracks you get a glimpse into village life of excited children laughing and running after you as well as friendly women going abt their chores with their haugthy "Sin Chow" greeting !

If possible, try not to do the DMZ tour, the bus journey is hardly worth the efforts and the sights are all long gone...if you take a overnight bus or train from Hanoi or HCm...get a good grip of the heading get the driver to forewearn you and take a few shots ;-) much much better than the 6am - 7pm bus ride where you get less than 10 mins at each stop ! The museum at the top of the hill whatever the tour agent says is hardly worth the trip !

have fun in Hue !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb