Ba Dong Beach - The End Of The Road.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
May 19th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ba Dong Beach. Not quite where the Mekong reaches the sea - a patch of ocean in between the two major river channels, but it was as close as we were going to get. And it felt like the end of our journey - for over two thousand kilometers and through four countries we'd followed the river as closely as we could - and now we could go no further. For five months we'd breathed and dreamed the Mekong, feeling happy when we glimpsed it, and strangely sad when we were forced to detour. And we still have Mekong dreams - to see the river in full flood in the heart of the wet season, to celebrate Lao New Year in Luang Prabang when the river is a sea of colour and a chaos of boat races, to see the Chao Mae Paa Beuk ceremony when Thai and Lao fishermen propitiate the female deity thought to preside over the giant Mekong catfish. It's gotten under our skin. Francis Garnier (one of the members of the Mekong Exploration Commission in 1866) declared " came to possess me like a monomania. I was mad about the Mekong". We've also discovered the Mekong magic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th May 2011

Congratulations
We've also enjoyed following your adventures through your blog - a lot of interesting people and places.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb