Mekong Delta, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
April 30th 2006
Published: May 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Angkor was our last stop in Cambodia. From there we stopped in at Phnom Penh for a night and then it was back on the Mekong River and south to Vietnam.

We decided to spend a few days in the Delta area before Saigon. Although we'd seen quite a lot of the Mekong in the last few weeks this area had a whole different feel to it. A lot more money in Vietnam thats for sure, loads more people and infrastructure.

We spent our time split between the border town of Chou Doc and the nearby town Can Tho.

In Can tho we took an early morning boat ride out to the floating markets. This started as strange day out due our "captian". The previous day we had been walking around the town just checking the place out and we were approached by several women who were offering to take us on a boat trip. One lady in particular would not stop following us. Instead of the usual asian way though, ie. "Hello, Hello, Boat Trip!, Boat Trip!", this lady started to follow us all around town at a distance, very james Bond like. We found it funny
Cai Rang Floating MarketCai Rang Floating MarketCai Rang Floating Market

You can grab a coffee and noodles along the way.
at first but after about 1.5hrs it started to get a bit spooky so we stopped her and politely asked her to stop. Suddenly she looked very confused and we were a bit worried that she might be a little crazy. But we left her to it. Or so we thought. After 10 minutes it seemed our tail was back and was not going to give up! This called for desperate measures, we adopted a strategy of nipping in to random shops and running once around a corner, the last thing we needed was this nutter knowing which hotel we were staying at! We lost her.....

We booked a boat trip through the hotel for the next morning and arranged to meet the guy outside the hotel at 5:30am. Who do we find outside the hotel the next morning? Crazy Lady!! "Boat Trip?, Boat Trip?". "No", we said, "we already have one booked with some one else". this is the point where our guy informs us that this is out boat lady!! Nooooooo!!!!!!

Thankfully though, she didn't turn out to be crazy at all. Well, maybe just a bit. Great time though and the markets were good fun.
Cai Rang Floating MarketCai Rang Floating MarketCai Rang Floating Market

The use the poles to advertise what they sell.
Except the maggot ridden mangos that were bought for us by our Captain. getting her own back we think.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Dodgy MangosDodgy Mangos
Dodgy Mangos

You can just make out one of the maggots.....
Local girlLocal girl
Local girl

Amy took this one on the way back from the markets whilst going along the narrow residential canals.
Mekong DeltaMekong Delta
Mekong Delta

More life on the river.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb