HCMC and the Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
February 12th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Face of the DeltaFace of the DeltaFace of the Delta

Another happy lady in Vietnam. It must be something in the water.
After a short flight from Hoi An we arrived it HCMC aka Ho Chi Minh City aka Saigon. We decided to take a tour of the Mekong Delta which included the "floating market".

There were thousands of boats. Big ones, little ones, packed with everything from pineapples to pigs. Quite the show. The farmers were all there selling as much as they could 'cause Tet was less than a week away. Tet of course being the Vietnamese New Year.

We also saw them making rice paper and coconut candy at small farms. It was interesting watching them make use of every bit of the rice plant, even the husks were burnt and then the ash used as fertilizer.

Well enough of HCMC, we're off for some more beach time on Phu Quoc Island.

Later,

Leslie & Lesley



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mock Cock Fight.Mock Cock Fight.
Mock Cock Fight.

No cocks were hurt in the making of this picture. This was a fake cock fight for the tourists. These birds didn't have the blades on their feet and didn't fight to the death.
Leslie Finds a Friend.Leslie Finds a Friend.
Leslie Finds a Friend.

I found this little fella in our room one night. I think that I'll bring him home with me.
Little Shop on the Mekong.Little Shop on the Mekong.
Little Shop on the Mekong.

This was the tiniest convenience store I've ever seen. They lived on the boat as well.
Floating Market Floating Market
Floating Market

If you can't find it here you can't find it anywhere. They had everything for sale. They tied what they were selling on a pole above the boat.
Going NativeGoing Native
Going Native

Lesley puts on the hat and fits right in.
Soldier Boys.Soldier Boys.
Soldier Boys.

Even the soldiers flash you a smile. Everyone is happy before Tet.
Flower PowerFlower Power
Flower Power

This is an incredible billboard that's made up entirely of fresh flowers. It looks amazing.
New Horton's FranchiseNew Horton's Franchise
New Horton's Franchise

These doughnuts were delicious. Some were filled with sweet paste and others were more like a spring roll.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb