Deltas, Islands and Fields


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
February 18th 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Face of Phnom PenhFace of Phnom PenhFace of Phnom Penh

This man was one of only seven people to survive the S-21 interrogation camp. Thousands of others were taken from there to the "Killing Fields". We were taken aback by the dignity that he still had.
We spent our last day on the Mekong Delta in Can Tho. What a pleasant surprise. We'd never heard of it and therefor we had no preconceptions of what it would be like. It was a very pretty city especially since it was all decked out for Tet. The people were friendly, the beer cold and the snake tender. What more could you ask. After driving back to HCMC we flew out to Phu Quoc Island for a bit of relaxation on the beach. During our time on the island, Vietnam celebrated Tet. It's just like New Years Eve, but it lasts 4 days and during that time the entire country grinds to a halt. Just as well we were on a beach.

After a fast boat ride and a slow bus trip, we found ourselves in Phnom Penh Cambodia. Here we had what I think was one of our most surreal days ever.

In the morning we went to the "Killing Fields" of Pol Pot. Chilling. Walking through the places where thousands of people were brutally murdered. There were still bits of clothing and bones sticking up out of the ground! The peace and tranquility belied the horror
Can Tho at NightCan Tho at NightCan Tho at Night

Beautifully lit up and all tarted up for Tet. It was a great night.
that must have occurred in this camp.

From there we went by tuk tuk to an Special Forces army base where I (Lesleygirl wasn't interested) was able to fire both a Kalashnikov AK-47 and an M-16, both left over after the civil war. After lunch we then went to S-21, Tuol Sleng, the notorious interrogation prison. This former school was were the Khmer Rouge tortured a massive number of their citizens on the assumption that they might have been an enemy of the revolution.

After that day we count ourselves fortunate and jet off to Siem Reap to marvel at the Angkor Wat complex.

Later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Happy ChappyHappy Chappy
Happy Chappy

Sellers came from all over the delta to sell their flowers in the Can Tho market. Most of them slept under the stalls.
Fishing FleetFishing Fleet
Fishing Fleet

The beautifully painted fleet on Phu Quoc Island. Every morning they brought in tons of fresh seafood. Delish.
Watch Out or You'll Lose an Eye.Watch Out or You'll Lose an Eye.
Watch Out or You'll Lose an Eye.

Lesleygirl shows her proficiency with đũa (chopsticks)
Water NymphWater Nymph
Water Nymph

Lesley frolicking in the ocean on Phu Quoc.
Snacks on the Beach.Snacks on the Beach.
Snacks on the Beach.

Luckily there were healthy snacks on the beach at Dương Đông.
Tranquil Fishing Village.Tranquil Fishing Village.
Tranquil Fishing Village.

Phu Quoc is famous for two things, black pepper and fish sauce. I know where they get the fish.
Long BeachLong Beach
Long Beach

Calm, quiet beach on Phu Quoc.
Skulls Piled to the Ceiling.Skulls Piled to the Ceiling.
Skulls Piled to the Ceiling.

A Stupa has been built to house just some of the thousands of skulls and bones that were exhumed from the mass graves. This was from the site near Phnom Penh. Almost one quarter of the population of 7 million was killed or died from the effects of Pol Pot's regime.
Cell at S-21Cell at S-21
Cell at S-21

Most of S-21 was left virtually untouched. Boards covered with photos of the inmates filled several rooms. A chilling reminder of people who passed through here, only to disappear.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 78; dbt: 0.115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb