The boat tour that never was


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
October 13th 2007
Published: October 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Watching the world float byWatching the world float byWatching the world float by

At least it was a nice way to travel....beats the bus
Dear all

Dean I decided to travel to Cambodia via the Mekong Delta by boat and make the most of seeing some of the country side. We were going to do it ourselves but it looked a bit complicated and we realised that it was cheaper to go with a tour.....big mistake.

We were picked up at 715 from our guest house only to sit on a bus for an hour without moving. We then had a 2 hour bus ride to a Delta village where we were supposed to see the floating markets....by the time we got there they were closed (later people told us that they werer really good! ggrrrr). We then actually went on a boat for about an hour to lunch. After lunch we had to cycle to our next pickup....going up hill, and then down with a flat tyre, no gears and no brakes is always fun!

We were told by the guide that morning that we were going to have a few hours on boat....big lie. We ended up on a bus not seeing much for another 3 hours (There were a few of us leading a protest but there was nothing much you could do....our next guide said it was quite normal!)

Our hotel was horrible...cockroaches in the restaurant...but we met up with a couple who wanted to watch the football so the night wasn't so bad. We ended up in a Vietnamese bar where we were able to communicate well enough to have some Siagon beers and watch England v Estonia. (No rugby though)

The next day was really good. We went around a village and Dean and I upgraded to a speet boat down the Delta. It was great and a very relaxed way to travel. All our visas for Cambodia were dealt with and we didn't even have to go through customs.

So we learnt a valuable lesson....if it sounds too good to be true.....then it is too good to be true!

Next stop Cambodia.......

Love Dean and Lowri


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

We made the bus stop so we could see the sunsetting on the Delta
A Delta villageA Delta village
A Delta village

This was one of the highlights of the Delta trip - yep that was as good as it got!...Seeing a Cham (Muslim minority) village


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb