Last Day in Saigon and Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
September 11th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

These last few days have gone by in a flash but I guess that's because we have been having a great time and doing lots of activities. In our final day in Saigon we spent our time walking the streets and visiting the Vietnam History Museum. Thje most memorable part of the day was actually lunch; we took a long walk across town to a small Pho (rice noodle and beef soup) shop which was actually the underground headquarters of the Viet Cong in Saigon durring the war. The Tet offensive, which was instrumental in turning American public opinion aginst the war was planned from an upsatirs room of this soup shop. After the offensive the shop was discovered and the owner was interogated and tortured. However, he survived and later was celebrated as a war hero by the communist government. The great thing is that the shop looks much as it did durring the war. It is very modest and the owner still works there surving pho.

After leaving Saigon we spent three days on a tour of the Mekong Delta in the South. We had agreat guide and spent our time in boat tours of the local floating markets, a tour of the fish farms, a local minority village, as well as numerous local industries such as rice processing plants, rice paper producers, coconut candy makers ect...

We especially enjoyed all of the time just touring the area watching the local people going about their daily lives. Everything in their lives revolves around the river.

Today, on our way back to Saigon we climbed up to a pagoda on a mountain overlooking the rice fields and Cambodia. The views were spectacular. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Now we head north.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb