The Mighty Mekong - Not So Much


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post


bored?
We took a two and a half hour ride from our fancy schmancy hotel - the Saigon Park Hyatt - to the Mekong Delta. While we are sure there are parts of the Mekong which are remarkable, we were not so impressed. We took a very loud motor boat ride along the river for like TWO hours and went in a circle...it was pretty boring. We did walk around a little bit and that was definitely the highlight of the trip. We went into the villages and saw them make rice paper which is used for the spring rolls and little coconut candies. We were also informed that a special liquor with a snake head in the bottle is good luck for a groom on his wedding night - sort of like viagra.

We traveled by boat through the floating markets and saw so many different foods being sold from pumpkins to pineapples. The river was lined with homes on stilts that were falling apart and still very primitive looking.

We met a great couple from New York City, Will and Deborah. It was nice to have them along with us for the trip and would be great to keep in touch since they live only a few blocks from us! Since we ate fresh lychees, we said we would meet for Lychee martinis back home.

We got back to Saigon early enough before sundown to shower and head off to the Chabad for a sedar.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb