Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
March 5th 2007
Published: March 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent organising a couple of tours with Sinh Cafe. One to the Mekong Delta the other to Cu Chi Tunnels. We then did a bit of shopping at the markets.

The kids spent the afternoon by the pool while I went and check out the War Remnants Museum. This is the Vietnamese's aspect of the war. The place has a heap of left over US military equipment out the front and small arms inside. Well worth a visit and details some pretty graphic stuff. An interesting perspective after growing up seeing it from the other side.

Monday we went to the Mekong Delta. This trip was a day trip and only just touches on life in the delta. We were bussed to the main town on the delta, My Tho. This is a pretty big and busy port town. There is a big fishing fleet and big ferries servicing the islands in the delta. There is a huge suspension bridge being built, still about 2 years to go. This will change life dramatically on the islands.

On the boat we toured the harbour, which is 68 km from the sea, then we went to one of
Island TransportIsland TransportIsland Transport

Donkey Cart on Island in the Mekong
the islands for lunch. After that we went to a traditional village and watched some Vietnamese folk singing. We then visited a bee farm and a coconut candy factory. Some of the transport in between was fun. We went on a donkey cart and some long boats in one of the smaller creeks. In all a good day to see how people live on the Mekong.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb