The Mighty Mekong


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
February 1st 2007
Published: February 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We opted for one of the incredibly cheap two day / one night Mekong Delta tour.

The mekong delta is an amazingly unique part of the world, although the tour itself is a bit of a cattle drive, i.e. herded from one thing to look at to another. What do you expect for 18 dollers per person for everything. On route we drank snake and rice wine , honey tea and ate fresh fruits at one of the island villages on the Delta, we were also rowed down a muddy stream by villagers wearing conical hats.

The mekong itself is like Saigon but on the water with countless boats everywhere, some of which look ready to sink.

The mekong delta is a huge farming area where the river splits up as it flows into the sea. It has a huge population most people farming in the area, most of these people are very poor.

We spent the night in Can Tho which is the main town in the Delta. It was a very interesting lively place to stay particularly as the country is gearing up for Tet (the lunar new year festival).

One of the highlights
HousesHousesHouses

The river is lined with these houses everywhere
of the whole tour was a visit to Can Tho floating market where hundreds of boats meat to flog each other fruit and veg. Not yer typical ASDA.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

BuyerBuyer
Buyer

A lady at the floating market doing a bit of shopping
The Floating MarketsThe Floating Markets
The Floating Markets

Some trading at the Markets
MarketsMarkets
Markets

Spread over 1 and 1/2 km on the river
Can ThoCan Tho
Can Tho

Typical street in Can Tho
Avin a KipAvin a Kip
Avin a Kip

Thats what the hats are for


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb