Day 3: Caitlins Birthday


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
December 8th 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Caitlin woke up to a new dress, bag and swimmers. She was very excited it was her 3rd birthday and couldn't wait to start the day. Unfortunately for Caitlin, after the buffet breaky, it was straight ona bus to the Mekong Delta. Bus trip forgetable, however once in the Mekong, we jumped aboard a boat and toured the area which included a watching local ladies make rice paper / coconut candy / rice wine(metho) and puffed rice. Fred was especially taken by the lady arduously making rice paper.
We also had a good lunch on an island and then lazed around in hammocks. After lunch we listened to some hideous local traditional music. I will try to add the video to this blog and you will know what Im talking about.
After lunch we toured around in the long boat some more and eventually landed back on the bus to Can Tho. This involved crossing the lower Mekong River by ferry which was very interesting. Absolutely huge numbers of people, motorbikes, trucks and buses cross 24hrs/day. The system is very crazy but efficient. They dont stop for anything.
Once we got through all that it was onto our hotel for the night which was everything you would expect in a $20 room - a fan that didn't work, wee complimentary on the toilet seat, 3 pillows for 5 people, beer but no bar fridge, towels as thick as serviettes and beds as hard as tiles. Sheer f#cking luxury! Did we mention no windows! We then showered, set out for dinner in a motorbike with trailer (xeom) which incidently had a flat tire making the ride somewhat of a massage (?).
We went to a flash French joint for tea that was ok for us and good for the kids. Caitlin had a candle in her ice cream and liked it very much.
Fred got very local today and had a pee in the street.


Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb