Saigon and the Mekong Delta - 10 to 15 June (days 47 to 52)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
June 16th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After our short stay in Hoi An we headed for Saigon, the Mekong Delta and a beach break in Con Dao. As we both fell ill we needed to cancel Con Dao but we still attempted two days on the Mekong Delta. Because of the virus we ended up extending our stay in Saigon where we got the treatment we needed at the International Clinic. We were most of the time confined to our hotel room undergoing the treatment. It was a very nasty virus. For a while we thought our adventure would be over quicker than we planned.

The Mekong Delta (Vietnamese: đồng bằng sông Cửu Long “Nine Dragon river delta”) is the region in southwestern Vietnam where the Mekong River approaches and empties into the sea through a network of distributaries. The Mekong delta region encompasses a large portion of southeastern Vietnam of 39,000 square kilometres (15,000 sq mi) . The size of the area covered by water depends on the season. (From Wikipedia).

Our trip on the Mekong started in Can Tho and finished in Cai Be. The crew on the Bassac II were extremely helpful given the state Ben and I were in. By the way we were the only ones on the boat for two days.

After the Mekong we stayed in Saigon, unfortunately, longer then we expected. There are a few pictures. We still enjoyed it as much as our condition allowed and experienced once more time the colourful Vietnam. After Saigon we moved on to Cambodia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A bridge under constructionA bridge under construction
A bridge under construction

The region is developing really quickly. There are lots of bridges being built turning and reducing the ferries.
Getting around the regionGetting around the region
Getting around the region

The most common mode of transport in the region.


13th July 2009

C'est un plaisir de vous suivre à travers vos notes et superbes photos. Merci et Félicitation.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb