Finally in Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
February 26th 2008
Published: February 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Can ThoCan ThoCan Tho

Can Tho 1
Feb 25

Finally we arrive in Can Tho at the Victoria resort. IN keeping with the pattern so far it was another long travel day. Quick painless flight to Ho Chi Minh City where we arrived about 10:30 am. I had forgotten how long some of the lineups in Vietnam can take. The processing of our entry/extra landing document thingies (which you need as well as a passport & a visa) seemed to take forever.. followed by a wait for our baggage that resulted in us exiting the airport about 12:30!

We were met by a private car and driver and driven to Can Tho a journey of only 200 or so km that took us 4.5 hours.... the last 9 km alone took over an hour as it involves a ferry etc. The hotel is lovely and we have a great room looking out over the courtyard pool and the busy river. We were waiting in the lobby as a nice young man checked us in and brought us fruit juice etc when M looked up and across the room spotted the lady who was our guide in Saigon and on the Mekong delta 2 years ago. They had a nice reunion and we got settled in and I finally had some clean clothes to change into now that my luggage is here.

We are both feeling the affect of only 3 or so hours of sleep since leaving Canada last Saturday so we have a very welcome quick couple of frosty cold beers.. a light supper and try to stay awake till 9 pm in hopes of getting a decent nights sleep that correlate to local sleep time.

Feb 26

I think M is bound and determined to enjoy placing early morning wake up calls! This morning it was a 6am wake up in order to have breakfast etc and then meet a local guide who is taking us up the river by boat where will disembark and then climb on bicycles to ride through local villages and through the rice paddies and along the canals etc. It was about a 4 hour event and we both really enjoyed it altho it was the first time either of us had been on a bike. Much nicer than a day spent in town etc..peaceful countryside..small villages..little kids all waving..smiling..yelling hello.. and giggling like crazy when we waved and replied. We are back in the hotel now and will simply relax this afternoon. In keeping with the theme of early wake-ups..tomorow we will leave another 6am call..so we can shower..eat..pack..be in the lobby by 8 am where our car and driver will pick us up to head back to Saigon where will overnight before another undoubtably early wake up call so that we can be driven to Phan Thiet . We will be in the Victoria Phan Thiet for 4 nights right on the beach so we will actually be able to unwind a bit and hopefully even play golf.

Im going to try to post some photo's if I can figure out how to do it here...


p.s.

It simply amazes me that here on the river bank in SE Asia i can seamlessly access hi speed wireless internet.. something I can't even buy back home !!



Advertisement



28th February 2008

your cantho visit
hello, i was born here and visited this place in december 2007. i had a wonderful time there. i am glad you do too. keep on traveling!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb