Palm oil trees


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 4th 2013
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

Dark and cloudy again this morning and a few spots of rain start to fall as soon as we have finished breakfast. Didnt imagine that work at the farm would have to be postponed because of rain, in March.
It didnt last too long and didnt even make things wet so in fact we were off to the farm quite early still.
On our way back we stop at neighbour Deu's farm for his thoughts on getting rid of our bamboo. We had contemplated getting a tractor in to dig out the roots when we get back here in September but he seems to think the same as us that if we keep burning it should kill off the roots and when the rains come it will finish the job. Only time will tell I guess.
Whilst at Deu's farm I am surprised at how much fruit there is on his palm oil trees for this time of year. They are five years old and mature and he says that they produce fruit at all times of the year although especially in the rainy season. Coincidentally he has people coming to harvest them this Wednesday, 6th, so I plan to come back then and watch for a bit. Looks like there might be anywhere between 50-100kg of fruit per tree and he is selling at 3Bht per kilo. He also harvests about three or four times a year depending upon the amount of rainfall but sometimes six or seven times. This sort of return is more than I imagined and am well pleased.
Back to the farm in the afternoon with more enthusiasm to plough on with the job for another week or so.
One of Jai's sister Bepats husbands family has just died in Phon Thong and this evening Jai and other sister Begat go to visit a nephew and arrange a lift into town for the cremation on Thursday.
Our mains water came back on this evening so we top up our rain water butt and fill every bucket etc we have once again. Have survived so far without the need to use the hand pumps and it looks as though we might get through the next two weeks with what we have now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb