How much ?!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 9th 2013
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

Into Phon Thong for the Saturday market. Jai's sister in law next door, Dom the sloth, has asked us to collect some money that her son in Bangkok has sent us from the ATM in town. I withdraw the 40GBP as requested and note that their account balance is about 60p. This is the sum total of the family's available cash !! So how do they spend the day ? Working hard trying to get some more money ? No, asleep in front of the TV doing nothing as usual !! How can people live like that ? Tomorrow is something that doesnt take up much thought here. It will take care of itself. Even the Thai language only has a present tense and no past or future and this trickles right through all aspects of their lives. Perhaps it is us that are wrong and them right as I dont think Thai has a word for 'stress'.
I get in a few hours at the farm before lunch and a few more in the afternoon but still dont reach my Friday target.
When I get back to the house I find that Jai has started wedding shopping buying a few patu, wrap around skirts, for presents for the guests. Yes, the wedding seems to be back on for a couple of weeks before we leave. Watch this space !!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb