Elephant Sanctury


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 28th 2016
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blue Workers ClothesBlue Workers ClothesBlue Workers Clothes

The Elephant is more relaxed around people in the blue clothes
Geo: 18.7833, 98.9999

We went to the Irish Pub in the Bazaar and coming home booked the Elephant Sanctuary tour which the girls recommended yesterday.

Picked up at 8.30am and we were a part of a group of 8, 2 from Germany, 2 from China and 2 from England. We were given clothes to change into that the Elephants are familiar with the workers wearing. There were bags of sugar cane and bananas to feed them. One after another they came down to the river and we had a lot of fun washing them which is done twice a day. Big powerful animals who loved my camera because it is the colour of sugar cane so nearly lost it a couple of times.

We made up a medication for them which helps them digest food because they don't have a good digestive system. Cut up root of some sort, that was bitter but very good for people who have piles, will fix them in a couple of days boiled in water and drank. Then put in a kilo of Turmeric which was really sweet but very good if constipated for humans, then brown rice that had to be pounded plus bananas including skin
Feeding TimeFeeding TimeFeeding Time

Big girl aged 52 years and loved the Bananas and Sugar cane
then mixed and squashed by hand formed into balls that we gave two each to the elephants. Elephant camps, all part of the Sanctuary were all along the river which keeps the elephant safe from poaches. They each have their own Mahout and these people are carers which is a right of only the Mohout, handed down from one generation to the other.

We were given a noodle dish on banana skins for lunch and then white water rafted down the river four in each boat, Mick fell out twice and I went out once, the two English boys managed to stay in but our legs are not going to be good tomorrow, we kept having to move and jump when we were stuck on rocks, oh my god we were knackered by the time we got out onto a bamboo raft and arrived back at the camp.

Incredible experience and the Jugo was posting on Face Book the pictures she had taken. Facebook.kaengkuedcamponline Very passionate about her work with the elephants. Smoked cigars all day and was drinking Leo Beer 6.5 per cent. Mick bought a packet of cigars 14 wrapped in banana peal that last forever.

When
Loved being washedLoved being washedLoved being washed

Twice daily to help keep them cool
we had dropped off the others Jugo turned to me and gave me a ring which is very special to her and is made from the hair of the elephant's tail which falls out once a year, to ward off evil and keep us well and healthy, living longer. Told me to hand it down to a granddaughter so that its power will continue to protect my loved ones. Pretty special and something I will wear and remember today which was huge but an incredible experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Feeding TimeFeeding Time
Feeding Time

Very clever say BO BO and the elephant would open her mouth for you to put the food in her mouth.


29th March 2016

Love the photos! You two look sooo cute lol. Would have been an amazing experience. The girls will not be coming to stay in Yarram till the Tuesday the 5th. xo

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb