YANGON—SHWEDAGON PAGODA / PHUKET, THAILAND


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 9th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 7.89072, 98.3988

In the morning, we made one last trek through downtown Yangon where we at a traditional Myanmar breakfast in a "locals" restaurant. Then, we walked through the shopping areas and made offerings to the young "monks-in-training" which must collect food each morning.

We then made our way to the Shwedagon Pagoda is the most revered Buddhist temple in Myanmar. Although the pagoda's origins are unclear, local legend holds that the original structure was built 2,500 years ago, then renovated several times until taking its current shape in the 15th century. The gold-plated pagoda, rising to a graceful spire at the top, reflects an intricate display of Buddhist cosmology and mythology—not to mention the dazzling glimmer of the 5,448 diamonds and 2,317 rubies that embellish its gilded crown. The "umbrella" of the highest structure holds a 76 carat diamond in addition to 4,350 other diamonds. The total value of the gold, diamonds, and other gems of the Shwedagon Pagoda is estimated at over a billion dollars. I smell an "Oceans 14" movie....

This afternoon we left the bustle of Yangon behind as we as we flew to Bangkok and on to Phuket. We arrived at our hotel around 10:00 PM (Phuket is 12 hours ahead of the US east coast). Our expedition company, Natural Habitat Adventure, put us up in an insane 3 bedroom, 3 full bathrooms/ 2 half bathroom villa, with our own pool and jetted spa in our private courtyard. We will be staying in this palace for the next 2 nights, and then on to more "primitative" accommodations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our dinner ride!Our dinner ride!
Our dinner ride!

In the front, Leroy Measner, in the back, Eve Measner, myself and Jeff
I took this photoI took this photo
I took this photo

It looks like it should be a posrcard, doesn't it??


Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb