My Traditional Wedding Ceremony in Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 28th 2016
Published: December 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My foreign friends continue to ask me about the details of my Thai wedding so I decided to write about each part of the day so I can share it with those who weren't able to attend.




I married my Australian husband, Archie, in a traditional Thai wedding ceremony that was the most incredible day of my life. We read many Thai culture wedding guides to get to know how a Thai wedding actually goes. Our closest family members and friends gathered around to support us in our new life together and celebrate our love for one another in a beautiful ceremony as we were married in Thailand.

I decided to hold my wedding in Thailand at Thailife Homestay Resort and Spa, which offered beautiful views of the outdoors and was decorated with lush flowers both inside and outside of the resort. Originally, we wanted to have a beach wedding, but the weather wasn't going to be clear so we decided to hold it indoors. The decor was everything I dreamed of and looked better than I imagined. It was well worth the stress that came with all of the planning during our engagement.

During the Rod Nam Sang we knelt and had our foreheads anointed by an elder before a conch shell was filled with water. Our guests came up to us and poured the water over our hands to give us good luck with our marriage. They were generous by giving us a gift that was placed in a basket that sat near us during the ceremony.

Our Buddhist ceremony was beautiful and included a chain of flowers that was affixed onto Archie's and my hands, which we held up as a sign of respect. We were also joined together with a string that made a circle, which was a symbol that we are now bonded as husband and wife, which is one of the most common Thai wedding traditions that is practiced in Thai weddings.

The wedding ceremony consisted of a lavish buffet where our wedding guests enjoyed sitting down over different types of food. We greeted each of our guests before they sat down to eat. Many of our family members and friends brought their own guests, which is a tradition at Thai weddings and made for an exciting way of meeting new people that are in close relationship with our loved ones. We also served Thai whiskey during the feast, which allowed everyone to have a bit of fun as they enjoyed drinking a popular beverage that is commonly served at Thai weddings.

One of the highlights of the ceremony was when we were called to the dancefloor by the MC and were given a wedding flower by our parents as they blessed our marriage. Our guest of honor also made a speech and welcomed everyone to toast our new life together, which allowed us to feel loved and supported.

The drinking and dancing made it an event to remember as we all celebrated our new marriage and the future that we'll share together.

Our wedding cake was one of the highlights of the wedding and featured seven layers, gold accents, and delicate floral details. Cutting into the cake together was one of the highlights of the ceremony before we passed slices around to all of our guests. We first served our parents, senior relatives, and our guest of honor to show our respect.

Both Archie and I agree that one of the best parts of the day was taking photos with our family members and friends. We also enjoyed seeing everyone sign our guestbook.

Our special wedding day concluded as we were sent away by our wedding guests with roses that were adorned by more roses, which was conducted by the elders who were present. Many of our guests even continued the party at a nearby bar once Archie and I left the ceremony. The sentiment of the day makes it exciting to start our Thai marriage together and enjoy a new life that will allow us to grow old together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb