Stunning flower market in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
April 12th 2016
Published: April 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lying in south of Temple of the Reclining Budda – Wat Pho and has access to a river pier, Pak Klong Talad is the biggest flower market in Bangkok, where you can find all kinds of popular and floral-related items. With a lot of interesting things that this destination offers to travelers, Pak Klong Talad Flower Market makes for a great-one trip when combined with other historical attractions in the Old City.

Read more: Thai Cuisine – The Blend of Flavors and Featured Cooking Style

Opening 24 hours but Pak Lkong Talad is mostly lively after midnight. The best time for those who want to see the market in full action is pre-dawn or at 3.00 to 4.00. This is the moment when vendors receive floral goods from each flower-growing area in the country, so the roadside together transforms into blooming colors with a kaleidoscope of bright. As being the home to the most exotic varieties of the flower produce one can possibly see, flowers range from local species (jasmine, chrysanthemum, gerbera, orchids, lilies, roses) to imported species such as tulips, snapdragons, iris, lisianthus, delphinium and more. Props and accessories for flower arrangements are also plentiful, whether vases, flower pots, floral foam, ribbons, florist wire, twigs or all kinds of decorative leaves imaginable.

The most fascinating feature of this market is a whole host of vendors who craft the Phuong malai (Thai style flower garlands) for selling in the market. Phuong malai are made by threading a needle through tiny pieces of jasmine and other flowers to create circular bouquets or garlands as they are traditionally called. These garlands are used as traditional offerings to Buddha and Hindu god images present inside the temples. The flower garlands thus are considered very auspicious for any religious ceremony.

Shops and vendors are housed inside two to three-storey shop-houses on both sides of the main road. In general, most of items are sold in packs of 50 or 100 flowers in each, and prices are amazingly cheap but during specific festivals such as Valentine’s, Mother’s Day, or graduation season, certain flowers will be three to four times more expensive (the same rule applies when you buy from any shop throughout the city).

• Opening Hours: 24 hours, more popular during nighttime
• Location: Chak Phet Road, the Memorial Bridge or Saphan Phut Chao Phraya pier
• How to get there: Taxi or Tuk Tuk



If you want to have more insight information about Thailand Travel, don't hesitate a minute to check out our tailor-made Thailand Luxury Tours and CONTACT US NOW to gain yourself a professional 24/7 support from our experienced Travel Experts!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb