Elephant walk


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 18th 2016
Published: March 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Thursday
This morning we went for an elephant walk through the park. We learned about the different elephants and had a nice opportunity to take pictures. Highlight being one little ( in comparison ) boy ele who I think was named Navan, he was very interested in our group and came bounding over, we were told to steer clear since this baby was probably 1000lbs. His mahout had taught him how to sit up and bring his trunk over his head ( all without force or threat of punishment ) it was super cute watching him play in the mud, run around and just be a happy little elephant. He had his mother and about three nannies looking after him. He had those ladies on their toes and was like a busy three year old. Running around like a wild boy, kicking sand, throwing mud and attempting to get as close to us as he could. After lunch we went and swept up more of the park, new property they are renting since now there are 70 elephants! We have noticed about 40% of the vollenteer a do about 100% of the work. After our return, more time with the dogs, looking for mr or miss right... For being in a shelter they are amazingly friendly and sweet, the people who work in the dog shelter love and spend a lot of time with these dogs and it shows. I can't help think about where they would end up if not here, a dog meat plant perhaps? Breaks my heart. There are almost to many to choose from, but we are looking for a great fit for Sea-B and Eros. We have narrowed it down. Then a talk from Lek, the founder, about animal Misuse and the plight of the elephant . I will tell you the changes that woman has made against all odds (old and deep seeded traditions, her being a hill tribe woman, government not supporting her.... It is quite amazing.After dinner, yet another hour long foot and shoulder massage, (I'm totally spoiled) and we think about the day ahead, going to the school in the morning. We are looking forward to that, and I brought some goodies from home for the kids.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb